Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting wheels

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting wheels

I know there is threads out there on this but they get very off topic. I have pro comp chrome alloy wheels and I'm wanting to paint them black. The chrome is starting to flake in some areas and I've always liked the black look better. I definitely do NOT want to plasti-dip them or pay for them to be sandblasted. So I'm asking, what all needs to be done to repaint chrome wheels? I want the matte black look so I thought I should sand paper the crap out of them and then spray a good primer and then bedline them. Would this work? And what products of each would be best?
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	533873   Click image for larger version

Views:	72
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	533874   Click image for larger version

Views:	78
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	533875  
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you got the basic idea With the polished chrome though, plan on some extra thorough sanding. I painted my old stock wheels by scuffing really good first with a scotch pad, cleaned with acetone. 2 coats of wheel specific primer, drying 35-45 min between coats. 3 coats of wheel specific metallic dark grey matte paint, 1 hr between coats. Finished with 2 coats of matte metallic clear coat, 1.5 hr between.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:28 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actually..

those wheels are a perfect candidate for the "Black Chrome" treatment.. check that out before you do the rattle can treatment..
Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did my old wheels with Matte Black Duplicolor wheel paint.... I just sanded the crap out of them, primed them good and went to town with the paint. For reference, Duplicolor says make the last coat a "medium wet" coat. Apparently "medium wet" means SO wet that they're almost dripping! My first attempt gave me a rough finish. I guess my coat wasn't thick enough. I wet sanded the gritty crap off and sprayed the living crap out of them and they turned out AWESOME.

I opted to NOT put a clear coat on mine.... Were I to do it over, I would add the clear coat just for some extra protection from road grit and trail use. Otherwise, it's super easy and the paint works well. Pre-work is the key!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
I did my old wheels with Matte Black Duplicolor wheel paint.... I just sanded the crap out of them, primed them good and went to town with the paint. For reference, Duplicolor says make the last coat a "medium wet" coat. Apparently "medium wet" means SO wet that they're almost dripping! My first attempt gave me a rough finish. I guess my coat wasn't thick enough. I wet sanded the gritty crap off and sprayed the living crap out of them and they turned out AWESOME.

I opted to NOT put a clear coat on mine.... Were I to do it over, I would add the clear coat just for some extra protection from road grit and trail use. Otherwise, it's super easy and the paint works well. Pre-work is the key!
What primer did you use? And what grit sandpaper?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elmoresgluee
What primer did you use? And what grit sandpaper?
this is the exact primer I used Duplicolor Self Etching Primer, 12 oz, Aerosol DAP1690: You

I can't remember what grit sandpaper I used, honestly. Just get something that's got enough grit to scuff it up really good. Since yours are polished aluminum, you'll definitely wanna scratch the crap out of them so that the paint will stick good. Once ya start, there's no turning back! So, give them a good scuff!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
this is the exact primer I used Duplicolor Self Etching Primer, 12 oz, Aerosol DAP1690: You

I can't remember what grit sandpaper I used, honestly. Just get something that's got enough grit to scuff it up really good. Since yours are polished aluminum, you'll definitely wanna scratch the crap out of them so that the paint will stick good. Once ya start, there's no turning back! So, give them a good scuff!
Okay thank you!

Quick Reply: Painting wheels