Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting rugged ridge XHD bumper

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting rugged ridge XHD bumper

My XHD bumper has started to peel and rust in a few spots.

I have 3 bottles of a raptor liner kit left over from doing my side skirts and thought I'd do my bumper to match.

My question is, should I just scuff it a little and spray over the old paint or is it in my best interest to wire wheel it down first to bare metal?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
jdk
JK Freak

Good question suscribed
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trauma
My XHD bumper has started to peel and rust in a few spots.

I have 3 bottles of a raptor liner kit left over from doing my side skirts and thought I'd do my bumper to match.

My question is, should I just scuff it a little and spray over the old paint or is it in my best interest to wire wheel it down first to bare metal?
The best way would be to strip it all the way down, but that isn't always necessary. You at least want to remove all the flaking powder coat, clean around the rusted areas, and lightly scuff the rest of the bumper.

Is stripping it in your best interest? Yes, but you could probably get away with doing less work if you really wanted to.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a question... Is the rust and paint flaking just from time/natural wear n tear and if so how long did you have it installed before you noticed it? I ask because I'll be purchasing this bumper soon and just some food for thought. Thanks and good luck
Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FirewalkerSahara
Just a question... Is the rust and paint flaking just from time/natural wear n tear and if so how long did you have it installed before you noticed it? I ask because I'll be purchasing this bumper soon and just some food for thought. Thanks and good luck
No its definitely my own fault.

I tightened the bolts holding the bumper on with an impact wrench when I first put it on, and it cracked the finish around the mounting plates.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 AM
JK Freak

Would A wire wheel bring me down to bear metal pretty effortlessly or is the finish going to be more resilient than that?

Quick Reply: Painting rugged ridge XHD bumper