Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting Rims

Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Rims

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X and I was wondering if there was any way that i could paint my stock rims black? Becuase I have been told that the stock rims are aluminum and you cant paint aluminum wheels....is this right?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hendy
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X and I was wondering if there was any way that i could paint my stock rims black? Becuase I have been told that the stock rims are aluminum and you cant paint aluminum wheels....is this right?
you can totally paint them, sand them down first to create a nice texture, then prime them and make sure to give them at least 4 even coats of tough/durable type spray paint. easy.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by desert_rat
you can totally paint them, sand them down first to create a nice texture, then prime them and make sure to give them at least 4 even coats of tough/durable type spray paint. easy.

Well i was going to check to see if i could get it professionally done but then i heard that for some reason you couldnt paint them and if u did it wouldnt last
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well i was going to check to see if i could get it professionally done but then i heard that for some reason you couldnt paint them and if u did it wouldnt last
if you trail or do crazy stuff and scratch your wheels a lot then yea, it wouldn't last. But if you paint them properly and only street drive, it would last for quite some time. I have done it on street cars in past and it lasted just fine.... really depends on how well the paint job is.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

There's plenty of thread about painting and bedlining your rims. Do a search.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did it myself. I think I bought 4 cans of Duplicolor bed liner (~$10 per can) and some kind of circular sanding bit for a drill. I was in a hurry (which is never a good thing), but I took a wheel off, sanded off the finish on it until it is a much more dull color than before, washed it clean, dried it, and sprayed with the bed liner. It has held up great!! There's been no flaking, just rock rash (but nothing will stand up to that!). I didn't even use primer. For what I wanted and expected, it's worked out great. I don't have any good pics of them though.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Find a local powder coater and get a more durable finish.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

No its wrong as mine are painted black and are great more then a year later...

I followed this advise I found here at Spidertrax spacers / painted stock wheels and with over a year of use and abuse even had the tires changed and they are still great to my eyes! When they changed the weights for the tire balance I just shot a bit of the spray paint and they matched great!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Paint them yourself. For less then the cost of having 1 wheel powder coated, you can paint all 5 yourself.

Plus when your powdercoated wheels get scratched, your SOL.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

If i was going to get the 5 stock rims powder coated, how much exactly would you think that would cost? Because i dont trust myself enough to do it myself

Quick Reply: Painting Rims