Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting Polished Aluminum Wheels

Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Polished Aluminum Wheels

My wife does not like the polished wheels currently on the Jeep. She wants them black. How do I paint them to last and look good. I am not a painter. I need some help.

I am contemplating scuffling them with some super fine sand paper, couple coats of primer, and finishing with some glossy black paint.

1. What grit/type of paper should I use?
2. What type of primer works best on aluminum? Or should I not use it?
3. What type/brand of paint?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out this video clip;

http://www.duplicolor.com/projects/p.../wheelCoating/

You just need to sand it enough to break the shine with a red scotch-brite or fine sandpaper. Primer will make it stick better but most of the paints don't require it. Use the search function becuase there are a lot of people on here that have painted their stock wheels with great success. I painted a set of polished aluminum wheels on my old YJ with Rustoleum primer and paint and they held up really well and looked good too. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

thank you!

Quick Reply: Painting Polished Aluminum Wheels