Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting a Hardtop

Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting a Hardtop

I just got a killer deal on a used hardtop for my 2dr. The problem is that it is a "greyish" color. My jeep is flame red so needless to say its not going to look that great. I was thinking that I could paint it black myself with some Krylon Fusion or AEV textured black that northridge carries with good results. I don't want to LineX it, I want it to look factory. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a high quality paint that is made to stick to a plastic surface. Go to a paint store not an auto parts store when you ask the question “What paint do I use for this”.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would also go to the dealer and ask them some question. When I bought my jeep there were some scratches on the hardtop that the dealer took care of since it was brand new. However the guy told me if the top get scratched up again bring it back to them and they will do it for 60 bucks. He said just wait till it gets really scratched (its like a one time charge or something no matter how much damage).

They might be able to at least give you the information you need to get the paint type yourself.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely check the stealership and see if they have any ideas.

Quick Reply: Painting a Hardtop