Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting Fenders Glossy - Will it be smooth?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting Fenders Glossy - Will it be smooth?

Hey Everyone,

Looking to paint my fenders to make a glossy black finish. I have a JK Unlimited Sport S with just the plain plastic fender flares.
I like the contrasting black, but think glossy black would look really good. Not even sure I'll do it yet.. might wait a year or so for it to start fading, but I'm wondering if it's as simple as priming and painting the fenders or is the texture of the plastic going to make it not work?

I'd buy a nice gun and some automotive pain, not thinking of rattle-canning this.

Has anyone done this before with glossy? I can find a lot on using bed-liner, plasti-dip, and satin rattle can jobs, but none on a glossy smooth finish like what you'd see on a Sahara.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have to spray them with high build primer and sand them smooth. Then the paint would be smooth... If you just try to prime and paint the texture of the plastic is going to come through.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should just find some Sahara take offs and paint them.

Quick Reply: Painting Fenders Glossy - Will it be smooth?