Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painted interior trim?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted interior trim?

I want to paint my interior trim white to match my Jeep. I'm worried about the removal of the vent rings. It seems like a really difficult thing to do. Someone on here said it took them 2 hours to take them out! Has anyone done this? Is it a huge pain in the a** to do? I'm going to get the "raw" trim kit from Mopar that's ready to paint so that if I screw something up I'll still have my original pieces. I may not end up doing it if I'll risk breaking something though. Any advice?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vent rings aren't that hard to remove you just turn the ring i believe its clockwise if not try the other way. the whole vent assembly will come out and then you have 4 clips to pull and the ring seperates. i removed all 4 of mine in about 30 sec.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

^i second that. Super easy to get the vent rings out. You do have to use a small screwdriver, inside the vent there's a small hole at about the 1:00 position. Just put the screwdriver in there, and the whole assembly will turn counter-clockwise and pop right out. I scuffed mine up with some high grit sandpaper before I painted them. Good luck and post some pics when you get it done!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

That's good to know I'll definitely do it then! Thank You! I'm going to get the "ready to paint" ones from Mopar so that I can keep my factory parts in case I want to go back. So I shouldn't have to sand them I don't think.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

I just finished painting the trim rings this past weekend, to get the vents out there is a hole in vent collar (the part that turns) you need to line that hole up to about the 1 o'clock position then insert a small flat blade screwdriver as straight up as you can then turn the entire vent counter clockwise about 30 degrees and it will pop right out. I would highly recommend that you scuff up the pieces with a fine grit sand paper and clean them up thoroughly before you paint them.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

So I found a video on YouTube of a guy showing how to take the vents out. After I watched that I realized it was SUPER simple. In the video he plastidipped them which I originally didn't want to do but for now it's the cheapest option so I went for it. I love how it came out! I'll probably do it over with real paint eventually but I love it for now! I just hope it lasts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-418020335.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	680.3 KB
ID:	619279  

Quick Reply: Painted interior trim?