Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Paint the whole rim or just the face

Old 02-03-2012 | 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

when I painted mine, I painted the face, and the inside, just to keep it looking nice. in my mind it looks a bit off being all black, with the gray windows. I would also get the tires rebalanced after you paint, especially if you take the weights off to paint and paint the inside. have fun, its well worth it!
Old 02-03-2012 | 08:53 AM
JK Freak

I put 2 light coats of black on the inside just so no silver would show from certain angles....just a quick coat
Old 02-03-2012 | 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by StrizzyChris
How did the rims under that cover turn out? hope not a ton of nice black speckles all over those shiney things?!
Rims under the cover (on a 68 mustang convertible) were not harmed. Still shiny! Painted the rims in the middle of the bay, and then moved them over so we could park overnight.
Old 02-03-2012 | 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jesse0376
Looks good what was the process start to finish
Sand down the wheels really well, get the clear finish off of them. Washed them off with simple green. I took a deck of playing cards and inserted them between the lip of the wheel and the tires, after airing down the tires. Put some newspaper over the sidewalls, and sprayed away. Nice light coats. It's all in the prep work. Painting them was the easiest part. The cards get right under the lip and are pretty tight so you don't get any seeping through, and I put the newspaper on because I found that with just the cards, I was getting some running along the edges. So with the newspaper, I could start spraying before the wheel started and get more even coats.
Old 02-03-2012 | 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Great idea with the deck of cards!
Old 02-03-2012 | 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by font976
Great idea with the deck of cards!
Thanks, but I didn't think it up. Got it from a write up on here. One of the many bedlining the wheels threads.
Old 02-03-2012 | 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sprecballs
I painted just the face on the stock wheels I had for my old TJ. I would paint my jku rims but my wife specifically mentioned not doing that when I got it...lol.
LOL! Mine too but I'm doing painted wheels anyway! Permission not needed but forgiveness will be.
Old 02-03-2012 | 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Finished a just last week. Only getting to do one wheel at a time. Well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2689709453.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	273690  
Old 02-03-2012 | 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B.S.
LOL! Mine too but I'm doing painted wheels anyway! Permission not needed but forgiveness will be.
Yea, I would try that too but its just not worth it...... shes scary when shes mad lol ...

Quick Reply: Paint the whole rim or just the face