Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Paint the roof: bus kote, plastidip, or it makes no difference?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint the roof: bus kote, plastidip, or it makes no difference?

Looking for some advice, and haven't been able to find a thread already written on this: does painting the roof help keep the interior temperature lower? If so, assuming I wanted to use a more temporary solution, how do you think white Plastidip would work?

I live in AZ, and it is just starting to stick in the triple digits... I will likely be ordering some Hothead headliners soon, but thought "whiting out" my granite crystal hard top might help.

Would be great to hear any informed opinions.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep Wrangler Hard Top Headliners
Old 06-28-2014, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the headliners as well. Makes a pretty noticeable difference. My only suggestion is to bend them a bit the opposite way, such that they look like U, and they will stick better with this damn heat. Mind you, bend, not crease.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Agree and was pleased with the Hotheads on my prior JK, but need to buy some new ones for my 2014. Was curious if anyone had experienced good results with painting the roof.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

I can't speak for the temperature difference as I painted my top as soon as I got it, but regardless it looks muuuuch better black than it does white. I wouldn't expect paint alone on the inside of the top to make a difference in temperatures but what do I know. For a few bucks a can, I bought some Krylon Fusion for Plastics and laid a few coats down. It has held up great for almost two years. The top has been left outdoors for long periods and the paint is still in good shape. It doesn't look like a rattle can at all, in fact guys have came up to me saying, "I didn't know they made tops that were black on the inside! How'd you get that?!"
Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I don't think painting the inside of the hard top would make a temperature difference. I was referring to the idea of painting the top of the hard top with a white buskote or plastidip, in addition to installing headliners. I've seen a couple jeeps around AZ that have done it, but have never been in a position to ask how much of a difference it makes...
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in AZ too and was thinking about use the type of paint that is use on Rv roofs. I'll keep you in the loop if I do.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 AM
JK Freak

Buddy at work just had his hardtop linex'd. In 106 degree Sun we used a laser thermometer on his and mine, which is not coated - 17 degree difference. You can tell a huge difference just by touch as well. $217 to do the whole top.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to you both, that is helpful.

I may try the plastidip route as it is Easy to remove if it doesn't work. If I do, I'll post the results.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 AM
JK Freak

You will see no temp change with plastic dip fyi. Works well if you just want to change color.

Quick Reply: Paint the roof: bus kote, plastidip, or it makes no difference?