Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Paint hard top. What to use?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint hard top. What to use?

So I was thinking about painting my hard top bright silver to match my jeep since I have a bunch of scratches on it. So should I pay the ridiculous cost to get it professionally painted OR get some mopar spray touch up paint.... Or possibly Duplicolor brand ?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be fun...

Subscribed.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Did you get a pro paint quote? How much? What about the inside of the top?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by black07
Did you get a pro paint quote? How much? What about the inside of the top?
Not yet. But on guessing a few hundred bucks. I did Duplicolor truck bed liner in the inside and it's awesome. I also did my wheel wells and they have held up Great! Looks new after a year so thinking of the outside now
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

All the quotes around here for a professional color match of just the outside have been over $1300. I believe the prep time is ridiculously long...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Wow would be interested in solutions, I have a few marks on my hard top from brush and branches offroading and have thought about what to do at some point as far as paint.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just damaged my top driver's side panel. $300+ to get OEM replacement from dealer and there is a lengthy backorder on them according to my parts guy. Was considering other options such as painting it, Line-X, or some other bedliner type applications on the outside and the inside.

Suggestions??
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I think buying that many cans of Mopar paint would be pretty expensive itself. There might be a place where you can order a gallon of matching paint and then just rent a paint sprayer from Home Depot.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I just picked up a 4dr Rubicon last night and the hard top is scratched up pretty bad. Was thinking about Duplicolor but also considering the Raptor Liner from U-POL. Dont know, havent decided yet. Want it to look good.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by danmojo82
I think buying that many cans of Mopar paint would be pretty expensive itself. There might be a place where you can order a gallon of matching paint and then just rent a paint sprayer from Home Depot.
Several companies sell the bright silver metallic color for jeep in a spray can. It will be hard to get the glossy color but I think it will still look good. I have line x my outside of my entire cj before and it looked good. My plan is a simple $100 job possibly with spray can from mopar or dupli-color then if it's crappy pay the $1300 to get it done. I dunno though. Someone has had to do this before on te forum

Quick Reply: Paint hard top. What to use?