Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Paint the front bumper???

Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint the front bumper???

Hey everyone I'm trying to figure out what to do here and I appreciate any help/advise you can give me.

I have a base model x with the bumper w/o the fog light holes on my rig now. I picked up a rubi bumper cover today for next to nothing but it has a bunch of surface scratches and a couple small holes drilled in it. I really want the fog light holes (yes the fog light wiring is already in place and the computer has been flashed to use them once installed) but I also don't want a bumper that is all scratched up. I really don't plan on using this new cover forever but it will probably stay on my rig until i finish my payments in 2 or 3 years so it needs to be somewhat durable.

In brainstorming ways to make this bumper look decent I have a couple ideas.

1. Get a heat gun and try to remove the scratches that way and fill the small holes w/ epoxy so they are not so noticeable. But I'm afraid the heat gun will ruin the texture of the bumper and it will look like crap. Does that sound like a real scenario?

2. Sand the bumper and get some kind of black texture paint and spray it in my garage.

I would really like your opinions on what you think first is the right method to use to get the best results. As well as info on any techniques that will help me achieve the most professional job possible in my garage for the least amount of money.

Also if I go the paint route what kind of prep do I need to paint the bumper (if it is possible) and what paint do you recommend? Do they make a spray on bedliner style paint?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ericker
Hey everyone I'm trying to figure out what to do here and I appreciate any help/advise you can give me.

I have a base model x with the bumper w/o the fog light holes on my rig now. I picked up a rubi bumper cover today for next to nothing but it has a bunch of surface scratches and a couple small holes drilled in it. I really want the fog light holes (yes the fog light wiring is already in place and the computer has been flashed to use them once installed) but I also don't want a bumper that is all scratched up. I really don't plan on using this new cover forever but it will probably stay on my rig until i finish my payments in 2 or 3 years so it needs to be somewhat durable.

In brainstorming ways to make this bumper look decent I have a couple ideas.

1. Get a heat gun and try to remove the scratches that way and fill the small holes w/ epoxy so they are not so noticeable. But I'm afraid the heat gun will ruin the texture of the bumper and it will look like crap. Does that sound like a real scenario?

2. Sand the bumper and get some kind of black texture paint and spray it in my garage.

I would really like your opinions on what you think first is the right method to use to get the best results. As well as info on any techniques that will help me achieve the most professional job possible in my garage for the least amount of money.

Also if I go the paint route what kind of prep do I need to paint the bumper (if it is possible) and what paint do you recommend? Do they make a spray on bedliner style paint?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Yes and yes...If i were in your shoes I would use a heat gun to smooth out any feathered high spots from some of the deeper scratches (or carefully use a razor to shave any high spots from deep scratches). I don't know how bad the scratches are. If they are just mild blemish scratches I wouldn't worry about the gun at all. If you use a heat gun go slowly and lightly, chances are you will lose some of the textured pattern molded in the plastic but that's ok.

After that I would wash the plastic really well using dishwashing soap (Believe it or not it removes grease really well) making sure you get into all of the inner bends and corners. Dry it of course and if you really wanted to, wipe it down with alcohol. I wouldn't worry about sanding it if the plastic is real clean.

Then head off to your local Lowe's, Home Depot, Auto Parts store and get 2 cans of Duplicolor Spray-on truck bed liner. It covers blemishes and scratches really well and has a nice gritty texture appearance similar to many aftermarket parts you may find out there.

The trick to getting this stuff on smoothly is DONT try to paint it in one thick coat, and spray it on a good 12"-16" off of the surface of the bumper. I'd go for 3-4 light even coats.

If you take your time, the Duplicolor paint looks really factory-looking, it is tough and cleans well. It adheres to plastic really well and if (when) you scuff/scratch the bumper you can always touch it up.

I did a bumper chop a few weeks ago and used this paint. the pictures aren't real clear as far as showing the paint but it will give you some idea.

I'm sure many of the folks here on the forum will attest to the Duplicolor paint.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/stubby-mopar-bumper-111127/

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. take it or leave it, it's just 2 cents.

Last edited by madmax92104; 01-10-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you very much MadMax for the step by step. I'll get going on this project today.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Bonus: A coat of spray on bedliner will probably double the strength of the flimsy stock bumper
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question, good answer, thanks for the thread.

Please post pics when you're done, thnx!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

So guys here are the steps I took with the bumper.

1. I pressure washed the new (used) bumper really well to get all of the caked dirt off.

2. Used a heat gun to get out as many of the surface scratches as I could.

3. Used epoxy to fill the small holes that were drilled into it.

4. Cleaned the entire bumper with rubbing alcohol to get any remaining grit or grease off.

5. Sanded the textured parts with 100 grit sand paper to feather out some remaining small scratches as well as even out the bumps left from the epoxy hole fill.

6. Used rubbing alcohol again to clear any debris from the sanding process.

7. Masked the back of the bumper because that didn't need a coat of paint as it is not visible.

8. Primed the bumper with rust-oleum plastic primer. (explained why in the next step)

9. Painted the bumper using rust-oleum bedliner spray with 4 coats. I used the primer because the bedliner instructions said to spray on metal or a primed surface and I wanted to make sure I got the best paint adhesion possible.

10. I will mount the newly painted bumper cover on my rig and post a photo after all the work is done.

I do have a couple of small runs but that is because it has been many years since I've used spray paint and my technique is not the best but after all is said and done I think this is going to turn out great.

Thanks for the help on this project.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sprayed my stock rear bumper with rustoleum bed liner. Anytime i scratch it up (often) i just POD paint it again, looks decent enough. They'll scratch to hell without much effort.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Too bad you are not in Arizona. I think there are about 5 posts with like new Rubicon front bumpers for sale on Craigslist.

In my honest opinion, I would just ditch the bumper and get another one. Be patient and you will surely see someone selling one here or on craigslist. I am very picky about things...if it doesnt turn out perfect I would not accept "okay".
Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Basic13
Too bad you are not in Arizona. I think there are about 5 posts with like new Rubicon front bumpers for sale on Craigslist.

In my honest opinion, I would just ditch the bumper and get another one. Be patient and you will surely see someone selling one here or on craigslist. I am very picky about things...if it doesnt turn out perfect I would not accept "okay".

I can be a bit of a perfectionist as well but this whole project is costing me less than $60 so I figured if it doesn't turn out that great I'll watch craigslist but if it does I score a cheap good looking bumper until I put on a real off road bumper.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

sweet, cant wait to see the pics.

Quick Reply: Paint the front bumper???