Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

P0174, P0304, and C123C - three codes at one time is unnecessary...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0174, P0304, and C123C - three codes at one time is unnecessary...

So I changed out my plugs and wires a couple weeks back because I had the "P0304 cylinder 5 misfire" code. The Jeep has been running fine since.

This past weekend I dropped my Jeep off with my brother-in-law so he could rotate and balance my tires for me; I had a pretty nasty wobble at about 35-45mph and it has been driving me crazy... I picked it up Sunday and he tells me a couple of the tires were really out of balance - said its driving much better now.

Monday evening my check engine light comes on when I leave the office; the engine sounds terrible and I smell exhaust in the cab. The noise and exhaust fumes seemed to be coming from the catalytic converter; it was loose as all hell and it was a PITA to get to. I tightened it as best I could and ran the diagnostic check with my Superchip Flashpaq:

P0174 - Fuel System 2/1 lean
P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire
C123C - Dynamics sensor mounting/installation performance

Yesterday evening I tried to tighten the CC bolt again and disconnected and reconnected the Cylinder 4 plug wire. I ran a few modifications on my Flashpaq (TPMS, Tire Size, and Performance modifications) and then this morning the check engine light is off and all seems to be well.

Can anybody please shed some light on this for me???

Could all of these codes be related to the loose CC? Did the CC work itself loose overtime OR should I suspect my brother-in-law was tearing my Jeep up over the weekend while I was gone??? Should I have the dealership look at the CC?? I have 72K miles on it and everything I read says they are covered up to 80K by some Federal deal...

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Your cat is covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. I would take it in if they will look at it for no charge.

The C123C code seems to be unrelated to the others.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

no charge is the question... last couple times I've been in there, they damn near wanna charge you just to talk to you for a second. i may give them a call and see what they think
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

The C123C code seems to be unrelated to the others.
Is this the sensor that's located underneath the center console? It's a strange combination of codes. Not sure why they all three decided to hit me at the same damn time either...
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by g'eep09jk
Is this the sensor that's located underneath the center console? It's a strange combination of codes. Not sure why they all three decided to hit me at the same damn time either...
Yes. The dynamics sensor is under the center console.
That code may have been there for a while with no cel.
You can test to see if comes back.
Test drive the vehicle by turning the vehicle left or right in a curving manner at a velocity between 6 and 12 mph.
Park the vehicle.
With the scan tool, read ABS DTCs.

Quick Reply: P0174, P0304, and C123C - three codes at one time is unnecessary...