Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

P vs. LT tires ?

Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P vs. LT tires ?

Hello all

I'm trying to pick out what tires & wheels I want and really liked the BFGoodrich AT KO's i've owned in the past (3 sets on 3 vehicles)... I've always liked Mickey Thompson MTX Radials Also. While searching for tires in 32" tall for 17" wheels, I found these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Which is listed as a 32x10.5x17 "P" tire. Whats the big difference in a P tire and a LT tire... is there any reason I shouldn't go with these over a BFG A/T KO at $50 cheaper PER TIRE? Thanks.

I don't plan on really doing any rock crawling, only light play in the mud and taking the rig out on the beach in the summertime.... I'm hoping M/T comes out with their Classic II's in a 17x7.5 or 17x8 sizing soon.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

This should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Just from personal experience I'd go for the BFG's. Never any problems before with sound or traction.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so P means passenger tire, and LT meants light truck... got that much...

But obviously not too many toyota camry's are riding around on 32" tall tires... anybody else have any insight on this?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Pass. tires generally have a much softer sidewall and fewer ply's in general. They are made to give a nicer ride. Some of them cross-over cars have tires like that. Such as the Volvo suv thingy. If you have noticed, you probably see a lot more cars with flat tires on the side of the road than trucks. I been driving around with nails in several of my work truck tires for months. Try that with a pass rated tire.

I second the BFG's, great tire and worth the extra 50 bucks. I been happy with Bridgestone duelers too.

Bryan
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Just as an fyi BFG is coming out with a new MT in the next year that is very similar looking to the KRAWLER's..............saw this in my 4x4 mag this week. HTH

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/galleries/sema2004/

There wasn't much in the way of new products that caught our eye this year. However, one thing that stood out was the new BFG Mud Terrain KM. We asked the BFG guys and were informed that the BFG Mud tire is due for a serious overhaul next year. What appeared at the SEMA show was a prototype, which is expected to be slightly different from the final production tire to be released in the middle of 2005. At first glance, it looks like a BFG Krawler T/A, but under close inspection some minor differences can be seen- the side walls are less extreme and there is a bit more tread void when compared next to the Krawler.

Tire life from the new Mud Terrain is expected to be similar to that of the current generation MT.

Last edited by Military Jeeper; 01-03-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: P vs. LT tires ?