Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ox lockers. the good, bad, and the ugly

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ox lockers. the good, bad, and the ugly

I have not found much info on the. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a front OX in my Cherokee (Dana 30).

Good - When locked it worked great. It is like a spool with full locking.

Bad - Cable adjustments were hard to figure and work out. Cable length was a issue with my XJ.

Bottom line, I would get a ARB or something else before I would get another OX.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

So cable adjustments is your biggest complaint. I just regeared and installed one so far just minor playin. Seems to be ok, I can deal with cable adjustments for the simplicity of the set up.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

2 guys I know have them front and rear in their TJs and love them for the simplicity but have problems getting it locked with the cable system. They are looking at getting the electric actuator kits for them for this summer. They also had issues with cable routing and have had to replace.

Based on what they have experienced I would look at something else or plan on getting the electric actuator.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miker
2 guys I know have them front and rear in their TJs and love them for the simplicity but have problems getting it locked with the cable system. They are looking at getting the electric actuator kits for them for this summer. They also had issues with cable routing and have had to replace.

Based on what they have experienced I would look at something else or plan on getting the electric actuator.
I agree.

Gracie, if you already bought one, then why ask. Your sold.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

I run the OX and I like it. Easy Install and set up, plus i don't have to replace airlines and rubber o-rings that tend to leak
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jasona33
I agree.

Gracie, if you already bought one, then why ask. Your sold.
So I can find info and know what to look for incase of problems. But your right I'm sold, made in U.S.A and simple. Cable breaks put a bolt in it and on down the trail I go.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Here are a couple with some Ox info, which is fairly typical of all of the ox related feedback.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=locker
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=locker
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Red
JK Enthusiast

I had one in the front once. It worked just fine. Getting it set up was the hard part, after that, I never really had problems. Though I rarely ever engaged it. The idea of a cable engagement is a plus for people who are adverse to too much technology. A cable is easy to understand and doesn't have that many points of failure, which is a plus off road. The only thing is it's not as easy as pushing a button to get it to engage.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the OP already has one, there is no point in making a comment to him, the others readers, however, may care.

The OX unit is very strong and simple, however, it doesn't disengage as easy as an ARB or Eaton. Only rarely will you ever see a pro rock crawler use one and it's for this reason. Additionally, the lever is bulky and sometimes hard to place and the cable can sometimes be very difficult to safely route. I've driven rigs with OX lockers numerous times and, even when perfectly set up, they aren't anywhere near as fast to engage or disengage as the competition. As a longtime wheeler I've had many friends that have used OX lockers. However, none of those guys still have them. They've all changed to other products.

My $.02- take it FWIW

Quick Reply: ox lockers. the good, bad, and the ugly