Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overtemp

Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overtemp

'07 jkr both tranny and ect getting way hot. Maxed out tranny 250 and 256 ect. Any ideas? Already tried washing the fins out.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one of those B&M coolers from the write up areas and never get over 110 on my tranny temps now. My antifreeze hovers at 195 to 205 range but jumped to 240 for a minute on the Vail pass here I Colorado. Got to do something about that.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

My HOT OIL indicator came on last week while driving slowly up a cool mountain road near the snow line. My Therm showed the transmission at 291 degrees.

I found out about the issue and the threads suggesting the B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler. I called B&M and spoke with someone who was very knowledgeable and helpful.

He said they strictly stand behind their product and warranty and if the product was defective not due to abuse etc, they would def warranty it.

He stated that the 70268 was sufficient at 13k BTU and you don't want the fluid to run too cool, it needs to get warmed up.

(I ordered a larger radiator anyway with a variable temp switch and the mother of all fans. ;D )

In comparison, I called another mfr from TX, and I could barely under this fella. I asked about the warranty and he states that "we leave that up to the resellers, we are not a direct supplier".

So if someone bought their product from Amazon, too bad.

So after all that phone callin, I absolutely recommend the B&M products from Amazon, O'Reillys etc.

Lastly he stated that the thing that doesn't get mentioned enough in the forums about this problem is this part B&M 70298 Hi-Tek SuperCooler Oil Cooler with Fan

For the same $ I went larger buying things separately.

Hope this help!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm sure I've read tranny fluid breaks down at 240f you guys who have exceeded this might need to consider a fluid change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump

I am searching this issue as well, my 2012 was around 240 degrees on an 84 degree day with the A/C on. The fan was running full speed and just maintaining that temp. I'm not comfortable using anything other than my specific year anti-freeze or changing the thermostat if possible. I removed the engine cover and short of a vented hood not sure what else I can do.

P.S. I just took out the fan and hosed back to front of radiator in order to make sure all mud was cleared out.

What else can I do?

I hear the "water fall" in the heater core when I start it up which I believe is air pockets in the system but when I fill it up it just goes into the overflow after the first ride.

P.S.S. only 9,000 miles on Jeep
Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

B&M tranny cooler should be mandatory IMO. On my 2011 Rubi I went up to Mt Hood and my tranny temp reached 229 which freaked me out. I installed the B&M the following week (took 30 min) and made the same trip and never broke 175 and is consistently 50 degrees cooler.

My buddy just bought a new 2014 Rubi and I noticed his came with the extra cooler from the factory.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riptide9
B&M tranny cooler should be mandatory IMO. On my 2011 Rubi I went up to Mt Hood and my tranny temp reached 229 which freaked me out. I installed the B&M the following week (took 30 min) and made the same trip and never broke 175 and is consistently 50 degrees cooler.

My buddy just bought a new 2014 Rubi and I noticed his came with the extra cooler from the factory.
Where/how are you guys seeing your tranny temp? With summer coming on here in Vegas i want to keep an eye on this.
Thanks
Dave
Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Time
Where/how are you guys seeing your tranny temp? With summer coming on here in Vegas i want to keep an eye on this.
Thanks
Dave
I have the AeroForce gauge that reads from the OBDII port. It reads what the computer sees for sump temperature.
Before that I installed a temp probe in the transmission pan, with a gauge on the A pillar.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I have the AeroForce gauge that reads from the OBDII port. It reads what the computer sees for sump temperature.
Before that I installed a temp probe in the transmission pan, with a gauge on the A pillar.
Please elaborate, I wasted my money on a Superchip Insite that can't read the tranny temp. I got on the Aeroforce site and not sure which gauge to get or which accessories.

Last edited by Mschneid; 05-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Time
Thanks
Dave
Using the Bullydog GT for Jeep programmer.