Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overland/Expedition Build Advice

Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKRescue08
Definitely. If your travelling state to state always know the laws! I also have the tuffy drawer and a modified bestop drawer for passenger side.
Interesting...how was the drawer modified to fit the passenger side? Have any pics? I'm always looking for additional secure storage!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! Thank you everyone for the replies!!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Covered_Wagon
Thanks for the reply Mark.

So the hilift isnt likely to be used.
Whether it's likely to be used or not... I've gotten out of almost as much crap with my highlift as I have with my winch, and would never go on a trip without it. 9/10 I never need it. But those few times I do, am I glad I had it. Same goes for a shovel and an axe (I also always pack a small bow saw). I might not have much in the way of repair parts (fine I have nothing other than fluids), but I always have enough gear to get me unstuck.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

To mitigate the risk of the green river flooding out the exit you can run White Rim starting at the green river in rainy season or during times when rain is possible, Park Ranger suggested this for my trip.
My family and I ran White Rim last year during the summer when there was a lot of rain and we started from green river. We used 2WD to conserve fuel for 99% of the trip and we were slightly under half when we got on to blacktop road. If you had to turn around you would most likely get off the trail but would be out of gas on the highway somewhere.
The trail is 90 miles, but it won take 3 days unless you want to enjoy the views more and drive really slow for a half day. In reality you could run the entire trail in a long full day.
White Rim is fun because of being so remote, we saw 3 vehicle in 2 days.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default White Rim

Thanks for all of the advice on the White Rim Trail. Its great to hear more details on the trail.

Running the trail from the river end first sounds like a good plan.

For my next question: has anyone been out there in July? Is the heat going to be unbearable? Im pretty stoic, but dont want to be miserable.

Again, THANK FOR THE REPLIES!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

July is going to be VERY hot. 100+deg every day and damn near as hot every night. If you dont find shade the rocks radiate heat all night and turn tents into little ovens.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

June is hot on WRT, so expect July to be even hotter. But you'll have solitude. Not many of us dumb enough to go out there that time of year, LOL! I did just for a day trip--out and back. There really isn't much shade out there, but we found some in Lathrop Canyon for lunch. Colorado River was flooded, so met it about 1/4-mile from where it actually flows (had risen up into Lathrop Canyon). Weren't able to drive all the way around due to flooding. Only saw one other Jeep--a rental--and one fellow on a bicycle. We offered him some water, but he was annoyed that the park service folks had placed water at his campsites. "If I'd known the rangers were going to place water for me, I wouldn't be carrying the darned stuff!" That's unheard of for the rangers to do that, but I think they were worried that he might get into trouble out there by himself.

My Jeep and my daughter's rental ...

Descending into Lathrop Canyon ...

The Colorado River rose into Lathrop Canyon ...

Lunch in Lathrop Canyon ...

My grandkids on Musselman Arch ...

Quick Reply: Overland/Expedition Build Advice