Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overheating? Shocking.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating? Shocking.

I have a mildly modified 2013 Unlimited Sport. I have read all the threads about the Jeep running a little hot. When I pull a 10 ft trailer in the Texas Summer (100+ degrees) the Jeep will show about 3/4 of the way on the temperature gauge. Is that normal? I drive a few hills but it's fairly flat out in central west texas.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Do you have anything in front of the grill like winch, or lights?
Is it lifted, and with the front air dam removed?

How about mud/dirt in the radiator fins?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

you will know when it is too hot as it will shut down. I have had my 14 jkur at 3/4's when driving up passes in 80-90* temps. digital temp says like 238* or that range.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

From time to time in temps like that my Jeep shows 3/4's as well (37's). Especially when just running around town. I am not too concerned about it, as mentioned, it will shut down if it get too hot. I also have a winch and the shittybuilt stinger that probably isn't too good for airflow. I have heard stories of guys testing their stock temp gauges with digital ones and proving that the stock ones aren't the most accurate.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

It has a puck leveling kit, warn 10s and some round (forgot diameter) procomp off road lights. None of those cover the grill much. If I haven't said previously the wheels/tires are stock. I started reading the posts about the dealer/jiffy line shops putting wrong coolant in and if worried me that maybe that's why it was heating up. Thanks for replies so far. Beer.......or whiskey.

Quick Reply: Overheating? Shocking.