Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overheating issue

Old 07-19-2021, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,688 Posts

yeah, the BD and Jscan are not as dynamic on tuning ability as your HP, though I am going to really look at the gaps like you suggest. You know the basic floppy things on the side of the JK rads trying to direct flow from getting by. That is all I got right now. The fan mates the same way to the Griffin, but even then you know there isn't great sealing between the fan shroud and the rad on the backside. This doesn't really seem like a fun endeavor, specially from the front. I can't get my grill off without removing the bumper and winch, and getting that PSC BFH bumper off is a bit more challenging than the factory as far as fitment. It is tiiiiight.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:55 AM
wgw
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepMateo
Hey y’all, just took a trip this past weekend and so my Jeep gets hot, like up to 240-250 while going 75-80 on the freeway especially when going up grades in 3rd gear at 4500-5k rpm. Guys had told me that that’s normal at that rpm but idk as I posted A kinda similar question before but I just talked to a guy with a gladiator hauling a trailer and asked him if he had any overheating while pulling a 4500 lb trailer up grades on the freeway and he said no, even when the engine was screaming...Is it cuz of all the extra weight I have and tires and that my Jeep is like brick going through the air? I have replaced everything in the cooling system and have a free flowing t stat so it’s not any of those...any ideas?
4000 /5000 rpm?
Old 12-30-2022, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem! 2 door JK need help - ideas?

I replaced entire cooling system and put in a very expensive Mishimoto V2 radiator. Cooling system flushed, thermostat replaced 2 times, new water pump, etc. I live in WNC Mountains and when I go up a high pass and hit 3500 rpms or more, overheats every time. I have 3 inch lift with 35 inch KM3s. So I am not as big or heavy as those guys with bigger tires and 4 doors. No vents in my hood and I do have fender well covers on. Next thing we are going to try is removing the hood and do some testing. Doing that before cutting up the hood to maybe reduce heat. So how do you guys with bigger tires, heavier Jeeps, keep from overheating near 4000 rpms when you need it? I have 4.56 gear set.

Last edited by MLT24; 12-30-2022 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Forgot attachment
Old 12-30-2022, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

That winch sits pretty high and blocks some airflow. Suggest a test drive without the winch.

Originally Posted by MLT24
I replaced entire cooling system and put in a very expensive Mishimoto V2 radiator. Cooling system flushed, thermostat replaced 2 times, new water pump, etc. I live in WNC Mountains and when I go up a high pass and hit 3500 rpms or more, overheats every time. I have 3 inch lift with 35 inch KM3s. So I am not as big or heavy as those guys with bigger tires and 4 doors. No vents in my hood and I do have fender well covers on. Next thing we are going to try is removing the hood and do some testing. Doing that before cutting up the hood to maybe reduce heat. So how do you guys with bigger tires, heavier Jeeps, keep from overheating near 4000 rpms when you need it? I have 4.56 gear set.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:18 AM
wgw
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

how long you running at 4000 rpm
Old 12-30-2022, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

Mr T - I know it will be a lot of work/trial/error but airflow disruption is the cause of many Jeeps overheating IMO. Read my posts 58/60 and start experimenting. Even that stinger is probably not good. I would remove the bumper and winch and go for that same drive if it is close to your house and see if there is a difference. If it is posts 58/60 apply. As stated in previous posts I have a low profile Jeep steel accessory bumper from 2008 with Smitty 9k winch, and a Chev V8 LT engine with the stock 3.8 radiator. Works great even up to about 100F days here idling during wheeling and pulling a small well loaded trailer at 60mph up a 7% grade for 4 miles in summer with a slight increase in temp, go over the top for 1/4 mile and it is back to normal in that case. I have a 2018 Camaro SS fan that pulls a lot of air through the rad to help all the temps stay in range of 95C or 203F. The fan never exceeds 40% speed due to water temperature not being too high. And I have sealed all the gaps as I discussed in the posts. Also if yours is a 3.6 I recommend putting a lower temp thermostat in it but you have to tell the ECU that you did that. Neighbour is a mechanic here and he just bought a 2014 GC 3.6 and he did the cam/lifters/oil cooler and lowered the thermostat temp. Went in and reprogrammed it and said it made quite a difference at higher RPM with cooler temps. Sorry for the long rants on this matter but I feel a lot of the members look in the wrong places to cure cooling issues. Airflow disrution is one of the biggest issues with "look good" stuff, lights, bumpers and winches being the culprits. The JL has bigger grille openings for this very reason of airflow or lack thereof.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 12-30-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same. Tried to fix it by myself, but after a few unsuccessful attempts I went to my favorite wallwork service center. They worked in the cylinder heads, replaced all gaskets and the problem was solved.

Quick Reply: Overheating issue