Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overheating issue

Old 06-17-2020, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I think that if my ratio is off, it's probably leaning towards distilled by a percent or two. I've used Water Wetter in a different car in the past, but it was a leap of faith thing.....wasn't having cooling issues and didn't monitor the same way, it was just a "this can't hurt" thing. I actually just put some Royal Purple Ice in last week. haven't really noticed any difference.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I installed a PSC cheese grater several years back. Might have lowered ambient engine bay items by a degree or two, but didn't make a hill of beans difference in engine/coolant temps. I've never been willing to put more into ventilation a la TOTL or AEV hoods. I can't imagine they make THAT big of a difference.
haha same! Didn’t make a lick of a difference.
Judging from the improvement that made, can’t justify an aftermarket vented hood, except for the looks.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

I think that if my ratio is off, it's probably leaning towards distilled by a percent or two. I've used Water Wetter in a different car in the past, but it was a leap of faith thing.....wasn't having cooling issues and didn't monitor the same way, it was just a "this can't hurt" thing. I actually just put some Royal Purple Ice in last week. haven't really noticed any difference.
Did you add the Purple Ice to the overflow reservoir which would slowly mix in, or remove the cap and some coolant adding it directly inside the radiator?

If this stuff lowers temperature like the literature claims on the dyno, it's going to be most noticed at full load with the T-stat full open and the fan full-on -- Exactly the conditions JeepMateo is running, and has data on. It would be an interesting product test...

Old 06-17-2020, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Did you add the Purple Ice to the overflow reservoir which would slowly mix in, or remove the cap and some coolant adding it directly inside the radiator?

If this stuff lowers temperature like the literature claims on the dyno, it's going to be most noticed at full load with the T-stat full open and the fan full-on -- Exactly the conditions JeepMateo is running, and has data on. It would be an interesting product test...

sure, I’ll be the guinea pig, why not?!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:32 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JeepMateo
sure, I’ll be the guinea pig, why not?!
'Was hoping you'd say that
Old 06-18-2020, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So yes, I was admittedly lazy and added to my reservoir, knowing it would take a bit to cycle into the system. My Jeep is not a DD, but last week was beautiful weather overnight so I drove it to work 5 days straight. 5 solid heat cycles up to over 230*+ each time (on top of weekend driving). I obviously I'll keep an eye on if I start to see any differences, but I really don't expect much. I really think it just comes down to the radiator and everything else is a bandaid. What I have wondered about, and doubt there is any firm answer to, is how long it takes coolant in the resi to cycle into the system. I'd think that with things getting that warm and going through cycles, that it's a regular transfer, although at a gradual pace. Mr. T, do you have any thought, opinion, or explanation on how that transfer is? I figured I'd give it several months before really forming an opinion, and it's only going to heat up more here in Texas. If I see no improvement as we move into August then I might dig into the slush fund and blow stupid money on that Flex A Lite. I can't watch videos at work, but scoured the web for reviews. I didn't find much. I do see some youtube vids out there when searching and meant to look at those last night but forgot.

Also, I don't completely rule out it is simply the OSC radiator, but, I'm not willing to blow few hundred bucks and time to replace with a new factory one with the chance that doesn't make a difference. I'd rather put that money towards something that is a real upgrade with potential.

Finally, I'd add that the jeep idles fine and runs fine. It's only when the RPMs crawl up there close to and then over 3k RPMs that the temps really rise, and it's only when the ambient temp is mid-90's and higher. ie, driving same speed/distance in the morning when it's in the 70's the temp rides around 220 which is "normal" for my jeep.

Last edited by resharp001; 06-18-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Lightbulb

So yes, I was admittedly lazy and added to my reservoir, knowing it would take a bit to cycle into the system. My Jeep is not a DD, but last week was beautiful weather overnight so I drove it to work 5 days straight. 5 solid heat cycles up to over 230*+ each time (on top of weekend driving). I obviously I'll keep an eye on if I start to see any differences, but I really don't expect much. I really think it just comes down to the radiator and everything else is a bandaid. What I have wondered about, and doubt there is any firm answer to, is how long it takes coolant in the resi to cycle into the system. I'd think that with things getting that warm and going through cycles, that it's a regular transfer, although at a gradual pace. Mr. T, do you have any thought, opinion, or explanation on how that transfer is? I figured I'd give it several months before really forming an opinion, and it's only going to heat up more here in Texas. If I see no improvement as we move into August then I might dig into the slush fund and blow stupid money on that Flex A Lite. I can't watch videos at work, but scoured the web for reviews. I didn't find much. I do see some youtube vids out there when searching and meant to look at those last night but forgot.

Also, I don't completely rule out it is simply the OSC radiator, but, I'm not willing to blow few hundred bucks and time to replace with a new factory one with the chance that doesn't make a difference. I'd rather put that money towards something that is a real upgrade with potential.

Finally, I'd add that the jeep idles fine and runs fine. It's only when the RPMs crawl up there close to and then over 3k RPMs that the temps really rise, and it's only when the ambient temp is mid-90's and higher. ie, driving same speed/distance in the morning when it's in the 70's the temp rides around 220 which is "normal" for my jeep.
I'm guessing about 20 heat cycles will come close to evenly distributing what's in the coolant reservoir throughout the cooling system.

A good friend has an '08 on 37's with a Motech LS, and still has the original 2-speed fan. But apparently plenty of their LS conversions do need more airflow, here's a video that might be interesting.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Lightbulb

For reference, I looked up a stock 2015 3.6L tune file and the fan is at it's highest speed at 230F (variable speed, PWM comtrol). The 3.8L stock switches to from low to high speed at 223F or 225F.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
For reference, I looked up a stock 2015 3.6L tune file and the fan is at it's highest speed at 230F (variable speed, PWM comtrol). The 3.8L stock switches to from low to high speed at 223F or 225F.

So I went up the mountain this weekend and had an electrical glitch that switched my high speed fan on and the Jeep did not overheat even while screaming...so I’m guessing that it is not being switched on when my temps rise...but it very clearly works. is the temp that the high speed fans kick on 230? and should I look at buying a tuner that can change the temp that they do kick on? I am going to go through all of the relays and swap out the ECT and hopefully that is the issue with it not kicking on.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I observed my what my fan did while idling in the driveway, i think summer of 2018. I thought mine kicked to high around 224*, and then back to low around 211*, but it's been a long time. I'd probably go by the 230* that Mr.T pulls from a stock tune file. I have a BullyDog tuner and can turn the fan on high, but can't adjust the temp threshold to turn it on via a tune. I also have Jscan app and looked the other week if this setting was in there, but it did not appear to be supported. Not certain what tuners out there have that as a setting or not.

Quick Reply: Overheating issue