Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overheating Hemi

Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
It looks like I run the same AEV kit and radiator as you, except with a 6.1. I still have the electric fan. In 90+ weather at highway speeds or crawling my coolant temps do not exceed 215. At crawl speeds the fan runs at high speed though, roars loud enough it can be heard in the cab. Underhood temps are pretty warm, but never had an overheat. I am still running whatever AEV programmed in back in 2009.

Something is certainly not right. No way you should be overheating with that kit and the AEV radiator in only 90 degree temps.

At a crawl, when the coolant temp gets to 212 degrees or so you should be able to hear that cooling fan from inside the jeep very clearly. In high speed mode on mine it is pretty loud and I can watch the coolant temp fall when it kicks in.

Maybe it is just a weight thing, I am still under 5000 lbs. But like stated above I would suspect the radiator if the fan is working properly.
My install is not overheating and with the addition of hood vents is staying below 210 -212 degrees at 100 degree weather. It was a BOR install that was over heating, something that has been on alot of threads in several forums. I could not be happier with the install.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

My temp gauge hasn't moved at all since my install, I had a small local shop in Lampasas TX do my install and everything has worked out just great especially since it was his first ever hemi swap. I came out ok being a guinea pig...lol and it only cost me $10,500.00 for everything with an AEV snorkel kit thrown into the deal. Plenty of power and torque and my gas mileage is 11.5 to 13 in the city and 13 to 14.5 on the highway. I've had this set up since December 2012. Not bad for a hemi conversion if you ask me.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddintentions4u
My temp gauge hasn't moved at all since my install, I had a small local shop in Lampasas TX do my install and everything has worked out just great especially since it was his first ever hemi swap. I came out ok being a guinea pig...lol and it only cost me $10,500.00 for everything with an AEV snorkel kit thrown into the deal. Plenty of power and torque and my gas mileage is 11.5 to 13 in the city and 13 to 14.5 on the highway. I've had this set up since December 2012. Not bad for a hemi conversion if you ask me.
That's the best price I have seen. Glad it worked out.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chris319
I had Burnsville Offroad put a 5.7L in my jeep last October, and I've had overheating issues ever since. It used to be OK if I had the heat on but now that it's summer with 90+ degree days even that won't keep it cool. I've taken my jeep back to burnsville to have them look at it, and spent hours on the phone with them but at this point they ignore me or tell me they will get back to me if I keep calling. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? I haven't been able to drive it this summer because of the problems, and I'm starting to think I will never get help from burnsville offroad.

Just sent you a PM having the same issue. I have the Aluminum radiator but thinking of adding an electric fan to it......
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't had any over heaating issues,and found Burnsville a pleasure to deal with. I would say a bigger radiator for sure i notice my electric fan comes on more frequent times when it's hot?

Quick Reply: Overheating Hemi