Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Overheating Hemi

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine was a new crate motor. It is the 5.7 VVT truck engine with the 545RFE transmission. I have changed the fluid with Zerex when I changed the thermostat, but I think it was a 70/30 mix like the directions called for. I assumed that the water pump was OK since it will cool off when I run the heater. I have an AEV front bumper with a 9.5 warn winch, it doesn't block the front that much. Also I had this problem with the stock bumper installed until march. I'm not getting any trouble codes, and I get readings of the coolant temp with my scan tool hooked up. I really like the power I have with the engine, but I wish I would have gone to one of there competitors at this point. I think it must be the radiator but I want to check every thing before I go that route.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a feeling it is the radiator and fan combination that you are running but an improper program could also be part of the issue as well. You could change the radiator and fan and still have an issue if it is running the wrong program.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Have you seen this thread ---->> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...emi-jk-277352/ ?

There have been a number of threads around the different JK forums discussing your exact issue. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'll check it out, thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your hemi is "bad"! We should meet immediately and I will swap my 3.6 for your Hemi. I mean what are fellow Jeepers for, right? Haha

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 6.0L LSx conversion (versus the Hemi), but it's still a V8. That said, any V8 produces a lot of under hood heat. I opted for an aluminum 3-core radiator (Griffon, I believe) when MoTech did my install. A large radiator makes a big difference. It runs the stock fans, but does not overheat..... and I've driven it both interstate and off-road in 117 heat here in the Cali' desert.

When my swap was done Robbie told me that Hemi overheating is a common issue. Not sure the cause, but I'd assume a fatter radiator would be a good starting point.

Good luck
Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you made sure your fan shroud is doing its job correctly, and that all of the air coming through the grill is also coming through the radiator? Maybe an AEV heat reduction hood would help. The heat reduction hood takes advantage of the low pressure area just behind the front of the hood to draw more air up and out of the engine compartment, which also draws more air through the grill, and hence, through the radiator. At least that's what they say it does.

Good luck. Your problem sounds fixable. Worst case scenario would be a larger capacity radiator.

I'm not having any overheating problems with my 6.4 hemi, but reading these threads about other people having problems makes me worry.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

this was a common issue with my old xj

Change out the radiator, and use a double fan setup.

When i did this, i never had another issue
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

It's really common in the hemi swaps. If your airflow is ok and everything is mechanically ok, then the rank order of issues in my opinion is:

1. Weight. Get your rig down as light as possible. 6500 lbs or less if possible.
2. Proper gearing. 5.13s work well.
3. Bigger radiator. Ron Davis and Jeep Speed Shop both sell radiators that work with JK that are bigger than BOR or AEVs. Lots of us here in CO have switched radiators.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wdave
Essentially it was the AEV install with a new larger radiator and electric fan. It was done by a local shop Screamin Lizards in Bedford, Texas this past January. It is running a new program update from AEV also.
Added a picture of hte radiator and over flow might give you a comparison.
Attachment 479199
It looks like I run the same AEV kit and radiator as you, except with a 6.1. I still have the electric fan. In 90+ weather at highway speeds or crawling my coolant temps do not exceed 215. At crawl speeds the fan runs at high speed though, roars loud enough it can be heard in the cab. Underhood temps are pretty warm, but never had an overheat. I am still running whatever AEV programmed in back in 2009.

Something is certainly not right. No way you should be overheating with that kit and the AEV radiator in only 90 degree temps.

At a crawl, when the coolant temp gets to 212 degrees or so you should be able to hear that cooling fan from inside the jeep very clearly. In high speed mode on mine it is pretty loud and I can watch the coolant temp fall when it kicks in.

Maybe it is just a weight thing, I am still under 5000 lbs. But like stated above I would suspect the radiator if the fan is working properly.

Last edited by Yankee; 07-22-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Overheating Hemi