Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Over compressing springs

Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Over compressing springs

Is it possible to over compress your springs? I'm running a Teraflex performance leveling kit with 35x12.50s and it looks like the spring completely compresses. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

absolutely. and, it is the primary reason why you need to install bump stop extensions with a lift. with just a leveling kit, i wouldn't think this would be a problem but, if your coils are going solid, that is not a good thing.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

There may be a hair in between them but they look pretty tight and I don't think it was flexed all the way. I had to stop and back down because the rear was rubbing my rail.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar issues going on expedition with a loaded car. I am running TF bumpstops, really pleased with it as it prevents my springs from compressing too much. Also when I go over humps it catches my bumpstops so no bottoming out any more
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBEII
There may be a hair in between them but they look pretty tight and I don't think it was flexed all the way. I had to stop and back down because the rear was rubbing my rail.
cut about 2 inches from your rails with a saw-zaw and add bumpstops that re the same height as your lift. you can use hockey pucks if you want to save a few bucks.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by notsoricer

cut about 2 inches from your rails with a saw-zaw and add bumpstops that re the same height as your lift. you can use hockey pucks if you want to save a few bucks.
Thanks. The rails are on my to do list, it's just been sooo hot. I'd never thought about longer bump stops since it was only a leveling kit.

Quick Reply: Over compressing springs