Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ORI Struts Squeaking

Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORI Struts Squeaking

I have a JKU on ORI Struts. The struts are only a little more than a year old and they starting squeaking and creaking just two months after I starting using them. Anyone else with ORI's have this problem?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While myself and many guys I know run ORIs, I have not yet seen nor heard of this issue. I'm probably the newest user in our group to them and I've been running them a year.

Try some Amsoil MP (the lightweight stuff), it was recommended to me for my squeaky heims and did wonders, might work here as well if you load the shaft up?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't run ori struts but I spray my dirtbike forks with silicon spray to keep them lubed and avoid stiction. That may work?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have tried every type of lubricant I can think of or has been recommend to me, and the squeaking/creaking has only continued to get worse. You can hear the Jeep coming from more than 100' away.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are about tell what is squeaking? Is it the joint of the strut or the piston?

You're sure it's not your control arms I assume.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sea bass
Are about tell what is squeaking? Is it the joint of the strut or the piston?

You're sure it's not your control arms I assume.
I am not sure exactly what is squeaking. I have sprayed the bushings for the struts and all of the heim joints on my control arms with most lubricants that have been recommended to me, including $25 a can Loctite graphite spray, and nothing seems to help. I even think it gets worse the more lubricant I spray on it. The squeaking will diminish or go away entirely briefly when I run through water and it usually improves for a while when I wash the Jeep. I talked to ORI about it and they did not think it was the piston, or anything internal on the struts that could be making the noise, especially since it started within just six weeks after I started running the Jeep with the struts.

I wouldn't care if it was just an occasional squeak but it's constant, extremely loud and I can only turn up the volume on my sound system so much. Also, I know a few other people locally who run ORI's and theirs don't make a sound. Here I come down the trails in my squeaking JK that sounds like the rusty old Cadillac I had when I was a kid.

Last edited by CHIPPER916; 08-13-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPER916
I am not sure exactly what is squeaking.

I gave you a valid solution for the noise your HEIMS are making.

Your thread title is misleading.

Quick Reply: ORI Struts Squeaking