Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ori struts

Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I will have to sign up for the build tread - so after a little more research I have come to a lot of positive comment about the struts but I still have two big concerns with these and maybe u guys can help me out.

1. They are prone to overheating when u daily drive and that u can loose the firmness of the strut. Ie it's like the equivalent of blowing a shock.

2. My other big concern is what happens if u blow it up on the trail? Are u pretty much dead in the water because u would basically lose ur ride height and everything?

And my third thing - does anyone have an experience daily driving these struts?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zero_traction69
Yeah I will have to sign up for the build tread - so after a little more research I have come to a lot of positive comment about the struts but I still have two big concerns with these and maybe u guys can help me out.

1. They are prone to overheating when u daily drive and that u can loose the firmness of the strut. Ie it's like the equivalent of blowing a shock.

2. My other big concern is what happens if u blow it up on the trail? Are u pretty much dead in the water because u would basically lose ur ride height and everything?

And my third thing - does anyone have an experience daily driving these struts?
They don't overheat. I have heard that the older version (ORI ST) may have had that to some degree in high speed desert type stuff. The new STX version does not. If it did, there is always the easy solution of adding the piggy-back reservoir.

Blowing up on the trail is not ideal. There were some instances of failure a while back, but my understanding is that most of those were a result of a manufacturing defect that has since been corrected. One option would be to carry a trail spare of a cheap coilover. You can probably pick up a used one for a really small price.

My Jeep is a second vehicle. It will probably see around 2000 street miles a year, mostly around town. I trailer to the trails. I'm not the person to say whether they are good for a daily driving application, mostly because I don't know the answer to that. The people I know running them are either dedicated trail rigs or close to it. You really need full width axles to run them and be happy. You'll need to notch the frame in the rear for sure and possibly in the front. Plan on dropping $400 for a nitrogen kit. Don't want to talk you out of it, but just highlighting that they are not plug and play.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my plan is to go dana 60s full with axles - my only main though are I do drive my jeep a lot not my main mode of transportation but i do like diving it and I have taken it on some far away trips- also trying to figure out if it would be worth going ori vs coilover - I know it's easy to do coilover and there are kits out there in what not but I was just going to try a different route then what's out there

Also why would u need to out board the ori - I have a coilover kit now with they are evo and it's inboard and I think it drives great? Am I missing something?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zero_traction69
Well my plan is to go dana 60s full with axles - my only main though are I do drive my jeep a lot not my main mode of transportation but i do like diving it and I have taken it on some far away trips- also trying to figure out if it would be worth going ori vs coilover - I know it's easy to do coilover and there are kits out there in what not but I was just going to try a different route then what's out there

Also why would u need to out board the ori - I have a coilover kit now with they are evo and it's inboard and I think it drives great? Am I missing something?
More stability imo. If your talking kits you could use most kit parts and put oris instead of coilovers if you wanted..

Last edited by Maertz; 10-30-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Ori struts