Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Orh soft top heavy rain lots of water

Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orh soft top heavy rain lots of water

Had some heavy rain the past couple days here
Got in my jeep today and there's 4in of standing water in the front and back seat floor boards but only on the passenger side.
Dash is dry seat is dry inside of the window and door panel is dry and I even sat in my jeep while it was poring down rain to see if I could spot the leak and I couldn't. The edge of the carpet up by the firewall was dry too.
Had the top on a few weeks been in the rain a few times now although not this heavy and never had a problem with it leaking
If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-11-2016, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same top and when it rains sometimes i get water inside sometimes i dont.. i think it depends on where im parked and the direction the water is coming off the top.. i think it may be leaking in the center of the two top sections. right above the b pillar.. maybe try and readjust that area.. you could put some chalk marks in certain areas you might suspect leaking then you can see if the water is coming through that area.. im sure a minor adjustment should fix the leak.. good luck
Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4" is a decent volume of water. I'd try ruling in or out the rear windows ---- is there any water in the trunk cubby storage area ? or in the smaller cubby where the stock jack is stored ?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
4" is a decent volume of water. I'd try ruling in or out the rear windows ---- is there any water in the trunk cubby storage area ? or in the smaller cubby where the stock jack is stored ?
Yes the plastic lining of the rear cubby was floating when I opened it
Old 03-11-2016, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure I've never dealt with this before but could the back be leaking and once the cubby was full the water just ran down underneath the carpet
I sat in the jeep in the rain and could spot no water anywhere the roll bar covers aren't even wet
Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

O yea any good tips on getting the carpet dry?
Had the doors and windows open all night in the garage i just cranked the jeep up and turned the heat on wide open through the floors
Old 03-11-2016, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jktonka
I'm not sure I've never dealt with this before but could the back be leaking and once the cubby was full the water just ran down underneath the carpet.
exactly. The cubby fills up when the rear windows are off, so I gotta think your windows are leaking when on.

Originally Posted by jktonka
O yea any good tips on getting the carpet dry?
The entire 4-door carpet can be removed by cutting into 3 portions, with a knife slice in front of each front seat. Then leave to dry and bake in the sun.

The JK has decent thick floor paint and underseal, but I'd remove the carpet and fully dry it. I presume you've already removed all the rubbers floor plugs -- there's a lot of them.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
exactly. The cubby fills up when the rear windows are off, so I gotta think your windows are leaking when on.The entire 4-door carpet can be removed by cutting into 3 portions, with a knife slice in front of each front seat. Then leave to dry and bake in the sun.

The JK has decent thick floor paint and underseal, but I'd remove the carpet and fully dry it. I presume you've already removed all the rubbers floor plugs -- there's a lot of them.
Yes removed all the floor plugs it was only passenger side front and back that was wet
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT CUT the carpet. The carpet is designed to be removed. There are hand screw fasteners under the seats and under the dash. Snip a 1/4" of the carpet under the front seats around the seat mounts to remove front sections. Second row comes out in one piece. The rear section is 3 sections (bottom & sides) in older versions, not sure on recent.

Quick Reply: Orh soft top heavy rain lots of water