Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Orfab tire carrier

Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Orfab tire carrier

So I was calling around to see if the cost of getting this installed vs. me buying the tools to install it myself would be worth it. One shop suggested I cancel my order because "everyone they have seen rattles like crazy" I'm not sure if this is the truth or this guy trying to get me to buy something else from them. So who here has one? How long have you had it? And what complaints do you have?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154
So I was calling around to see if the cost of getting this installed vs. me buying the tools to install it myself would be worth it. One shop suggested I cancel my order because "everyone they have seen rattles like crazy" I'm not sure if this is the truth or this guy trying to get me to buy something else from them. So who here has one? How long have you had it? And what complaints do you have?

I have the version that also carries two Jerry cans. Installed a bit more than one year ago. Used with the cans empty and full, 33 and 35 tires. No rattles at all.

It's well built and can stand a lot more weight if installed properly.

Only issue I have with it is finishing. They did not do a good job and it shows several rust spots. I was planning to repaint it this Summer but other priorities postponed the plan since the rust is more superficial and can wait.

Installation is a pain. Took me almost a full day to do it alone and triple-measuring everything. I'm sure experienced folks using another pair of hands would do it in a few hours. If you are handy go for it. Tools needed were a good measuring tape, good set of drills and a small driller (I used my small Bosch) and a socket ratchet wrench set. Nothing special.

I would buy it again and install it by myself again. Only thing I would do different is applying a couple layers of paint before installing.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I on the other hand have rattle and personally have not had good luck with or fab products. There is a slight rattle though.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Canceled my order, the amount of drilling was already making me worry about messing up the install. I'm gonna order a teraflex tire carrier when they refund me.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine a few years, no rattles. Agree with the rust issue... It's not that bad. Majority of mine is at the catch & latch. Nothing some rust inhibitor & paint won't fix. Install definitely was a PITA, took my bro and I 4-5 hours. Its one of those install projects that you take a lot of pride in completing! It can hold a lot of weight and having a place to store rotopax is a plus.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Ive had mine on about a year now. The instal was absolute hell due to a manufacturing flaw, it rattles, is covered in rust, and I hate it. I'll never buy another OR Fab product again.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Only had mine a few weeks. Install is pretty intensive by yourself, but it's built well and I have no rattles at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Install was a pain but the quality is awesome. Not sure why some peeps are having their tire carrier rust like crazy. I got the rotopax one and this thing is solid and no rattles what's so ever. I highly recommend it and also get corrosion x if you are paranoid about surface rusting and spray the latches down. I also recommend plugging up the mounting holes as well so water doesn't get in it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had mine for about a year and a half. Carry a 37" tire on it and so far no problems. It doesn't rattle and still operates smooth and quietly.
I don't know what issues others are having with finish but all my OrFab products are holding up great. I have front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, and third brake light and the powder coat has held up great with no rust showing. Now on the hinges and latch of the tire carrier I do spray them with some WD-40 periodically which helps keep it working/moving smoothly and rust free.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been running the can style one for almost a year with only a 35 on it and cant stand it. Rattles like crazy, rusted within a week of getting it. Looking at getting a EVO style on made up using EVO skins.

Quick Reply: Orfab tire carrier