Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ordered teraflex leveling kit looking for tires

Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered teraflex leveling kit looking for tires

I just ordered the new 2inch front 1inch rear teraflex leveling kit at 130$ and now shopping for tires

My 2 choices are

285 70 17 bfg km2 or
285 75 17 toyo open country m/t

My concerns are rubbing issues with the rubi stock wheels

The toyo is a bit taller will it fit my stock carrier with brake light ? Will it rub at full flex ?

If any of you experienced one of
These setup pics and comments would be great

Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

I was looking at rear bumpers with tire carriers but its not for now... So
I need the tire to fit on the stock
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepeter
I just ordered the new 2inch front 1inch rear teraflex leveling kit at 130$ and now shopping for tires

My 2 choices are

285 70 17 bfg km2 or
285 75 17 toyo open country m/t

My concerns are rubbing issues with the rubi stock wheels

The toyo is a bit taller will it fit my stock carrier with brake light ? Will it rub at full flex ?

If any of you experienced one of
These setup pics and comments would be great

Thanks!!
whatever you go with, i would recommend installing a set of 1.5" wheel spacers if you intend on keeping your factory wheels.

i personally prefer toyo's as they offer great performance on and off-pavement and being e-range tires, they have sidewalls that are virtually bullet proof. the down side to this is that their ride can be a bit harsher. the bfg's work great too and, if most of your time is spent on pavement, they may be a better choice.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife

whatever you go with, i would recommend installing a set of 1.5" wheel spacers if you intend on keeping your factory wheels.

i personally prefer toyo's as they offer great performance on and off-pavement and being e-range tires, they have sidewalls that are virtually bullet proof. the down side to this is that their ride can be a bit harsher. the bfg's work great too and, if most of your time is spent on pavement, they may be a better choice.
Well i read that alot of people did not need wheel spacers with 285 width and some experienced slight rubbing at full turns but that is fixable with the steering stop washer trick
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepeter
Well i read that alot of people did not need wheel spacers with 285 width and some experienced slight rubbing at full turns but that is fixable with the steering stop washer trick
yup, this is all true and, as i said, it was just a recommendation - not a necessity.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

Any issues reported with spacers? Any safety issues specifically.

I've seen them priced from around $50 a pair to close to $200 a pair. What is the recommendation of the forum folks?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

I don't want to put spacers I just want to know if the 285 75 17 toyo tire would fit on the stock carrier and if its no too big for only a 2 inch front 1 inch back leveling kit

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

It should, you can always raise the third brakelight if you have to and you will have to trim up the rubber bumpers on the tailgate to deal with the wider tires.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DGriz
Any issues reported with spacers? Any safety issues specifically.

I've seen them priced from around $50 a pair to close to $200 a pair. What is the recommendation of the forum folks?
ive been looking to buy the spidertrax, i've seen them for roughly $100 per pair. with my previous spacer experience in my VW, buy something hubcentric and quality studs
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I believe wheel spacers are illegal in Canada but don't quote me on that. Also, they push the tire out further so there would be more stress on your parts than needed although it may be negligible . For a 11.5" wide tire they are not needed unless you like the look of a wider stance or don't want to compromise your turning radius. Spacers also may push your tires out past the fender which is also illegal in Canada. Mind you lots of people get away with it. I know someone who was forced to buy larger fender flares.

Quick Reply: Ordered teraflex leveling kit looking for tires