Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ordered my suspension kit. What do you "experts" think???

Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered my suspension kit. What do you "experts" think???

So, after months of debating and researching a lift kit for my particular budget and plans for the mistress(popular name for our Jeeps), I have decided to do the 3" Zone Offroad lift substituting out their shocks for Bilstein 5100's. Also, instead of a steering stabilizer I was advised to get a new drop pitman arm to relieve some of the stress(???). I build houses for a living, which means I am mechanically inclined, but would love some suggestions if you have any. I am spending roughly $700 for lift and shocks with exhaust extensions. Pitman arm I am assuming is around $80-$100 (the same as a steering stabilizer) I have a 2013 2-door J/K, 6-speed with 33X12.5X16 Open Country M/T's and 1069 flat black procomp wheels. Love the look. Pics will soon be posted. I do not plan on doing crazy rock crawling but offroad in the nearby area's for sure. I believe a 3" lift doesn't necessarily mean I have to worry about caster angle, driveshaft issues, gearing etc..at least my research proves that..Anyone? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont get a dropped pitman arm. That and a stabilizer are not the same. You should be able to keep the stock stabilizer also.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering stabilzer isn't mandatory I haven't been running one for about 6 months without any issues. If your suspension is dialed in right you don't need one but it does help with bump steer. You don't need to use the drop pitman arm, it will put stress on the sector shaft. Adjustable control arms are nice to be able to dial in your caster angle for the axles to help prevent "death wobble" or vibrations.. Your drivelines will be fine but eventually you'll wear out the stock ones. Congrats on the purchase and have fun
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about that kit per se. However, I will advise you not to skimp on your lift and don't trust the advice of someone that told you to do a drop pitman on our JKs. You're at the edge of needing to address drive shafts with a 2-door, but you're probably okay -- at least for now.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't mean to hijack but I have questions about either a 2 1/2" lift or a 3" lift. I am told that a 3" is totally max you should go without a driveshaft change, what happens or how does the driveshaft go bad if I get a 3" and no driveshaft change. I had a 2008 and a 2 1/2 " lift and then put spacers in the rear and not long after that I threw the shaft on I-10 in Tucson and was in deep stuff. I guess what I am asking is how much time would I have before problems if I did only a small amount of off road runs and nothing really extreme.
Thanks so much..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandman
Don't mean to hijack but I have questions about either a 2 1/2" lift or a 3" lift. I am told that a 3" is totally max you should go without a driveshaft change, what happens or how does the driveshaft go bad if I get a 3" and no driveshaft change. I had a 2008 and a 2 1/2 " lift and then put spacers in the rear and not long after that I threw the shaft on I-10 in Tucson and was in deep stuff. I guess what I am asking is how much time would I have before problems if I did only a small amount of off road runs and nothing really extreme.
Thanks so much..
There are 2 things that are critical that need to be addressed when lifting 2.5+ on a 2door, when you lift it up, the angles for the front driveshaft become quite extreme and can cause problems down the road with excess wear of axle/ driveshaft components, the second is that the driveshaft WILL hit the exhaust on 2012+ models so it'd be best to buy exhaust spacers to clear the gap in between for all lift on the 2012+ unless you upgrade driveshafts... There is a video on teraflexs website on a detailed install of the exhaust spacers for the jk
Happy wheeling!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the 4" Teraflex 8 Flexarm kit and a new front driveshaft. The installer told me anything over 2", it's time to think about the front driveshaft.
These guys are Jeepers and I can trust their judgment on this. They see them break on the trail.
Another said there was no need to change front driveshaft. I didn't go with that guy.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sandman
Thanks so much..
If you are looking for opinions on your Jeep, try Big O tire in Redlands. Thats where I did my lift and they can help.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great advise, will see how much of a lift I really want and need considering I am out of the more radical stuff.
Once again I really appreciate all the answers..
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

ORW offers a teraflex lift w/bilstein shocks shipped for $750. Had this set up on my 08 2 door and it was plenty of lift to fit 35's Has everything u need except front adjustable track bar

Quick Reply: Ordered my suspension kit. What do you "experts" think???