Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ordered a'round of 5100 Blisteins!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered a'round of 5100 Blisteins!

Tell me what you know about them or the install.

I have a RE 4.5 Long Arm that has the original lift kit shocks still on; after about 80K on them I think they are getting wobbly. I bit the bullet and ordered up a round of the Blistein 5100s for 4-5in lifts and a new Blistein Steering Stabilizer.

Any thoughts or question welcome, I'll be installing them next week sometime.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huntphreak
Tell me what you know about them or the install. I have a RE 4.5 Long Arm that has the original lift kit shocks still on; after about 80K on them I think they are getting wobbly. I bit the bullet and ordered up a round of the Blistein 5100s for 4-5in lifts and a new Blistein Steering Stabilizer. Any thoughts or question welcome, I'll be installing them next week sometime.
I ran them with my teraflex springs and loved them. Gave a good on road ride and weren't bad offroad.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are a high pressure shock so if you cut the strap too early they can be a bit tricky to compress. Line it up, cut the strap and guide it into the mount.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Why ask about them after you already ordered? They are an ok shock.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Why ask about them after you already ordered? They are an ok shock.
Never understood the love with blisten on this site , all the guys I know that had either didn't like the harshness or they started leaking early
Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Personally I think it is because they are a pretty shock. I personally think they ride a bit harsh and prefer the OME nitro sport for an everday throw-a-way shock in that price range. A lot of guys wont run them because they don't like the fact they are yellow.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Personally I think it is because they are a pretty shock. I personally think they ride a bit harsh and prefer the OME nitro sport for an everday throw-a-way shock in that price range. A lot of guys wont run them because they don't like the fact they are yellow.
I have the 5100's and they are silver not yellow. The picture on the box is yellow but my shocks were silver? But the 5100's are ok. The ride ain't bad but not great either. I blew my old 5100's on my WJ after 3 months. My jk 5100's are holding up fine after a year but I will be buying fox shocks next time most likely.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

OME nitro sport shocks are yellow. Bilstein 5100's are silver with a blue sticker. The bilstein 4600 series shocks are yellow with blue stickers like on the box.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did a bit of research before, and settled on these. Good price point, I expect them to be similar to the RE ones supplied with the lift.

So I guess the post was to see who had insight on the install. Although should be pretty freshman year sorta work.

I find it interesting the comments I read on shock feel by Brand X or Brand Y.

Rarely do people give enough information about their rig to do any sort of intelligent comparison between brands. Aside from manufacture defects it is an install and see for yourself kinda part.

Suspension dynamics is something that has sooooo many variables; but the shock is the usual scape goat.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Remove nut, pull out the bolt, remove shock. Install shock with bolt, install the nut and toruge to spec. Done.
Placing the axle on a floor jack with the wheels off will help you move it up and down to assist with installing the bottom bolts.

Quick Reply: Ordered a'round of 5100 Blisteins!