Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Options on winches?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I see your point, something to think about. I can see it would be safer with a wireless but yea, you could damage something if you loose signal.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

If you are new to winching I would suggest sticking with the wire rope. Wire is much more forgiving unless it breaks. Always keep a line saver or something on the line just in case the line snaps. I have been wanting to switch over to synthetic line but haven't been able to justify the price.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MC22958
If you are new to winching I would suggest sticking with the wire rope. Wire is much more forgiving unless it breaks. Always keep a line saver or something on the line just in case the line snaps. I have been wanting to switch over to synthetic line but haven't been able to justify the price.
x2 here. I will switch to synthetic when i feel i have gotten use out of the cable. Cable is plenty dependble as long as you keep it in good shape. Most winches cant pull enough strength to snap a good cable. I have a Mile Marker SI9500 winch rated to pull 9500 lbs and the 3/8 cable is rated at like 15 or 16k lbs (sorry dont know exact number)
Old 01-05-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://psrope.com/loggingwinchlines.aspx http://psrope.com/

For rope, its about 200.00 for 5/16 and 125 feet with ends.

Kat

Last edited by Robar; 01-05-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Please dont post direct non sponsor links.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

just my $.02, stick with wire, i have seen some synthetic fray prematurely from some pretty rough rubs. call me olsd school, but on my blazer with a 16.5k winch, just not willing to trust it that much, might cost more in the long run, like was said before, wire is pretty forgiving in hairy situations.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
Yep, one more thing to go wrong with it.
I agree, keep the winch as simple as possible. Let's face it, you will probably never use it.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turned around and sold my cable when I got my winch. For me synthetic was a definite. There are certain dangers with the wire and in that area synthetic is more forgiving. Both wire and synthetic require you to take special care to avoid damage. Synthetic is more forgiving when it comes to spooling (you need to make sure wire is spooled on in neat rows to avoid premature wear).

Synthetic is allot more expensive, but you pay to play. For the reduction in risk not to mention weight I'll take the synthetic. I don't know what the life on the synthetic is, but I'd still do it if it was just a year.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

I used to believe in wire, but not any more. And how many others who have been using synthetic line are willing to return back to wire. Usually only those who never have had synthetic keep preaching for wire. My last 3 winches have had synthetics from day one and if i just can afford it i will stick with synthetics. Safety first, then comes point how easy it is to handle and play with. Only thing where synthetic rope cant win is price but once you have it you will not regret you paid so much of it.

Last edited by wgr; 01-06-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whatroads
I see from your sig you are in NC. To me, that translates to snow and salted roads. I feel like salted roads and synthetic rope are a short life combination

Can you explain your thought process here? Lmost all of the winch line we Jeepers uses was originally used in offshore sailing yachts. In this service, these lines saw lots of salt exposure and the life was quite long. My location says, SC, but I have lived in the salt belt and have an 8274 with Amsteel Blue on it. It is now pushing 7 years old and is no worse for wear.

I am not trying to slam you here, just want to understand why you believe salt covered roads + synthetic winch rope = short life.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Former Member

Synthetic for me.
Ever been bitten by a man-eating wire rope with a broken strand or two sticking out? Not a fun day after that.

Quick Reply: Options on winches?