Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Options for rear sway bar

Old 05-19-2022, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Options for rear sway bar

First, I don't want to get in a debate about whether or not a rear sway bar is useful. That seems to be an endless debate... My question is basically around what options ARE available out there. I just installed double bypass shocks on my JK Rubicon. The rear sway bar no longer fits due to the shock positioning. An option for a sway bar may be the SwayLOC or Anti-rock, but my front disconnectible front Rubicon Sway Bar works fine still. I don't want to get rid of that if possible. That said, I believe to make either way work (SwayLOC and AR) I would need to add them to both the front and the rear or my dynamics would be adversely affected. I believe I need to come up with an above frame sway bar method, but beyond SLC or AR what are the other options that will provide sway features but doesn't require a front sway modification?

Also note that the rear shocks have both compression and rebound settings that may make the firmness (or lack of ) rear sway bar torsion less of a factor if dialed in correctly. Any suggestion?

Old 05-20-2022, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You can add either to the rear and still use the front factory sway bar. It will just be stiffer than before and should handle great on the road. By adding both a front and rear AR will give you better balance and no need to disconnect the front (when properly tuned). If you just add an AR n the rear it will still give you better handeling with the front disconnected when off road. You are not going to be able to tun a 2 tube bypass shock to correct body roll without affecting the ride. If you had a 4 or 5 tube there would be some tuning you could do at certian travel points. Nice shocks btw.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks @TheDirtman ! I might have to check that out. I heard it was a no-no to just do an AR in the rear, but I know you know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Options for rear sway bar