Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Optima Yellow top or Blue?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
So I'm trying to decide on a optima gel cell battery for my JK. So I go to the site and they want me to put in my model. Except there is no drop-down for 2013 and the 2012 drop-down does not have the wrangler listed.

I have to say optima needs to update their website. I'm sure the 2011 battery specs will work. Anyone think otherwise?

What do you guys think is a better battery? The yellow or Blue top?

We sell Yellow Tops all day. go with that!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you are recommending that the op change out his battery cables so that they can reach the negative/positive terminals since they are on opposite sides of the original battery, and the stock cables are too short?

Originally Posted by dognights
You guys are kind of funny. Some make it seem like unless you get exactly the same type of battery your jeep will blow up and not start. Much of the difference in numbers over model years are the type of posts and or slight height changes. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, batteries are no different. Optimas are heavy and expensive compared to your typical lead acid battery. But they respond very well to short cycles with the ability for a big deep draw without frying the battery on discharge or more importantly on recharge. AGM batteries are also good with shock and in warm climates with heavy use because they dont boil over and run dry. Given the space constraints of a Jeep I would say a 34/74 would be your best bet. There are others that will surely work. It just depends on your intended use and how much you want to spend.

Last edited by ralphwiens; 03-14-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

I'd go with a blue top. I have it in my other toy. The auxillary post is great for hooking up the winch wires and everything else while leaving the factory terminals alone. The blue top can handle some serious abuse too.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rovingshoe
I believe that the Sears DieHard Gold is a good battery, but is of the lead-acid type. It is therefore less resistant to the bumps/vibrations of off-roading. Am I incorrect on this?

Dan
I think you're right, If I was in the market right now I would probably go with the Diehard Platinum 35 series, or swap out the cable harness to a longer one and go with the 34 series (which I believe is a little more powerful). I've had good luck with the Diehards, and if you have a problem with them, easy to get a replacement (4 year complete 100 month prorated warranty).
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralphwiens
So you are recommending that the op change out his battery cables so that they can reach the negative/positive terminals since they are on opposite sides of the original battery, and the stock cables are too short?
Ummm no I am not saying replace every wire that goes to your battery with new two foot longer cables. I am saying just rotate the battery in the other direction and connect it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20130120_144752_resized.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	433888Click image for larger version

Name:	20130120_144745_resized.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	433889
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

My two cents....I've had an Optima Yellow Top on my TJ and now have one on my JK. Winched with both. I finally killed one, but it lasted many years longer than any dry cell battery I ever owned, and I've had a bunch of 'em. Also have a Yellow Top on my boat, and it's been going strong for years with good starting amps and deep draws with multiple charges. I keep it plugged into the Optima charger continuously when not in the boat. If I had a steady draw like a trolling motor, I'd go Blue Top. But, for starting duty and occasional deep draw, I like the Yellow.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights
Ummm no I am not saying replace every wire that goes to your battery with new two foot longer cables. I am saying just rotate the battery in the other direction and connect it. Attachment 433888Attachment 433889
I think I'm going to go with just one Dual purpose Marine battery. I really don't feel like making space to put a 2nd one in there.. Its more just being lazy than anything, but I think 1 blue top will run my winch and 14" light bar with no problems.

Dude how did you free up that much space to get that 2nd Blue top in there?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I think I'm going to go with just one Dual purpose Marine battery. I really don't feel like making space to put a 2nd one in there.. Its more just being lazy than anything, but I think 1 blue top will run my winch and 14" light bar with no problems.

The single will run that no problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Odyssey batter for my JK. I've had 2 yellow tops in my car and TJ and while it performed great, I found the battery life was rather short for the money. The sears diehards are apparently rebranded Odysseys for a fraction of the coin but up in Canada they don't have that. So had to shell out the extra for the Odyssey. SO far it is great. Has the longest warranty too.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can just remove your stock battery and toss in a blue or yellow optima 34 or 74 right in its place without an issue. Just turn the single battery facing in the opposite direction facing back instead of forward and it will plug right up. If you get the one with the posts and terminals it makes it very easy to wire in things like a winch, lights, etc.

Fitting two in required a custom tray, a bit of cutting and moving a few things around. along the firewall i have a switch and mounted relay/isolator as well. That lets me control how I want to charge them and lets me dial in how I want the auto shutdown on the second battery for my full time fridge I run. I run the deep cycles because honestly you just dont need the starting power even in cold weather and AGMs actually produce more power if you crank cycle them to warm them if it is really cold out. Cant really do that with a lead acid battery. Overall Im very happy with my setup. There are many ways you could go with batteries thou.

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow top or Blue?