Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Optima Yellow top or Blue?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by toolow262
Without looking at the specs of the two I don't know off the top of my head if one is much better than the other. We run the blue tops in the Coast Guard but like said above thats a marine grade battery, may just be paying more for the "marine grade". Best is to look at the spec differences.
There are two versions of the blue top. One is a starting battery only, and one is a dual purpose for starting and running high draw accessories.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also compare warranty's. Don't think there is any better than Sears Diehard.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
There are two versions of the blue top. One is a starting battery only, and one is a dual purpose for starting and running high draw accessories.
Yeah we use both, but the one that would apply here would be dual purpose.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use two Optima Blue tops. I run a full time fridge with a relay isolator and high amp alternator. The Blue top are completely the way to go over the Yellow. They have a higher tolerance for shock then the Yellow which is important if you plan on trail runs. Also they have a slightly high reserve on them as well for the same given size. I would say either battery you go with to get one with both the standard terminals and posts. That way you can easily wire accessories.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
So I'm trying to decide on a optima gel cell battery for my JK. So I go to the site and they want me to put in my model. Except there is no drop-down for 2013 and the 2012 drop-down does not have the wrangler listed.

I have to say optima needs to update their website. I'm sure the 2011 battery specs will work. Anyone think otherwise?
There is no problem with the website. The Wrangler from '07 though '11 used a group 34 battery but they switched to a group 91 for the '12 and probably the '13. The group 91 has the positive and negative terminals at different ends than the group 34.

Neither Obyssey, Optima, or the Diehard Platinum are made in a group 91 style and that is why their websites don't show a battery for a '12 or '13 Wrangler.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Here you go:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » DieHard Platinum Battery for a 2012-Up Jeep JK Wrangler

My boyfriend uses the DieHard Platinums; one in his 2003 V10 Ford and two in his boat.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 03-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Radioman
There is no problem with the website. The Wrangler from '07 though '11 used a group 34 battery but they switched to a group 91 for the '12 and probably the '13. The group 91 has the positive and negative terminals at different ends than the group 34.

Neither Obyssey, Optima, or the Diehard Platinum are made in a group 91 style and that is why their websites don't show a battery for a '12 or '13 Wrangler.
Great post,, thx for the info. I just did a little research on batteries for my diesel truck. Most batteries are made by few manufactures. odessey and optima may be exemptions, but I don't think you are going to get the gains you think from a gel cell. I went with a napa battery( which is made by johnson control). Johnson control has a great reputation in the industry. Good luck!!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

A series 48 is interchangeable I read with the series 91. Sears makes a Diehard Gold in a series 48, or you can go with a smaller size battery, but will fit, series 35 and sears has the Diehard Platinum in the 35 series. Optima does not have this option in any series right now.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

You guys are kind of funny. Some make it seem like unless you get exactly the same type of battery your jeep will blow up and not start. Much of the difference in numbers over model years are the type of posts and or slight height changes. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, batteries are no different. Optimas are heavy and expensive compared to your typical lead acid battery. But they respond very well to short cycles with the ability for a big deep draw without frying the battery on discharge or more importantly on recharge. AGM batteries are also good with shock and in warm climates with heavy use because they dont boil over and run dry. Given the space constraints of a Jeep I would say a 34/74 would be your best bet. There are others that will surely work. It just depends on your intended use and how much you want to spend.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

I thought the primary reason that someone would go with an Optima battery is because it is a gel battery. This better handles that bumps and vibration that you can experience when offroading. I don't know the details but i understand that a lead-acid battery will degrade over time as the materials needed to recharge the battery aren't as available as they vibrate away from the plates. Gel batteries keep the materials in suspension (in the gel) so they can be recharged more times.

I believe that the Sears DieHard Gold is a good battery, but is of the lead-acid type. It is therefore less resistant to the bumps/vibrations of off-roading. Am I incorrect on this?

Dan

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow top or Blue?