Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Optima D34m "blue Top"

Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima D34m "blue Top"

WOW

JUST GOT OFF THE PH W/T AND THEY SAY NOT TO USE THE THREADED POST

THEY WILL JUST MELT RIGHT OFF IF USED FOR WINCHING

GLAD I CALLED THEM FIRTS B4 I HOOKED THE WINCH TO THOSE
Old 06-16-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by -MAW-
WOW

JUST GOT OFF THE PH W/T AND THEY SAY NOT TO USE THE THREADED POST

THEY WILL JUST MELT RIGHT OFF IF USED FOR WINCHING

GLAD I CALLED THEM FIRTS B4 I HOOKED THE WINCH TO THOSE

MAW,

Yeah, those threaded posts are for small stuff only. I don't even use them.

You may want to upgrade your battery connectors too, as I did:

If you do, you'll have to change all the connectors on the stock wires too, so it's a bit of a job...

js.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one on my TJ and used the posts for small draw electicals... Lights Cb, stereo stuff... but winches use several HUNDRED AMPS, dont use the screw posts.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not an optima fan so I'll just say this and leave it be. I bought my first optima over 10 years ago and melted the side terminals. At the time there was no warning anywhere, and the vendor had no idea.

The next one (#2) went dead when sitting, even with all cables unplugged. The third was a trade from a friend, same as #2.

#3 and #4 were brand new delivered with business equipment. Neither lasted a year, but the replacements (not optima) are going strong after 2 more years.

Over 10 years ago there were few options to alleviate the optima "problems". Now there are dozens of great gel cell glass mat batteries on the market. I suspect many of them blow away Optimas for performance and reliability. I know my AGM batteries are far superior to Optimas in every aspect including the ability to use the side posts to full rated capacity.

I'm amazed that they haven't fixed the side post issue yet .
Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by neoxxis
Well, how do people wire them if it's that bad???
"Typical" winch install instructions do not mention anything about "special cares"...
You just connect it and pray I guess...?
Have you checked the power draw of your winch under full load? The wires that comes with your winch (#2 on my Warn) will start melting after a short time at full load, so you can imagine what'll happen to those threads.

js.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost every other battery manufacturer has warnings about using the side posts for high draw applications - except Optima. Personally I wouldn't use the side posts of ANY battery for high draw applications. There is still a lead to the top post - it's just a matter of how big it is.

As far as AGMs go, I read where their life is dramatically shortened if drawn below 50%, even AGM "Deep Cycle" batteries.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to use Optima batteries in my Land Rover Defender 90, but that was mainy because I did not like the idea of having a battery located under my seat that could spew lots of acid on my rear end in an accident.

Good to know about those side posts. I used the for accessories but never thought they were a potential danger.

Quick Reply: Optima D34m "blue Top"