Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oppinions, advice, help needed 2008 jku rubicon

Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oppinions, advice, help needed 2008 jku rubicon

Alright hopefully some jk gurus can chime in.

I have several issues with the jeep that id like some help with.
I have a 2008 jku rubicon, manual transmission, 4" lift coils, metalcloack adj arms, jks front and rear adj track bars, running 35" mtr kevlars on 16" wheels.

Now you have the low down. First order of business. I believe my front u-joints are on there way out. When in 4wd any type of turning sets off a loud distinctive click, also does it if i get on the gas a little in 4wd. What is the best way to tell if a u joint is shot? And what is the most cost effective way of replacing them ( I do all the work on my jeep myself so what would be cheapest but worthwhile solution in parts )

Second one is a question asked a lot, im sure ill get flamed for this one, Shifting my transfer case. Im no newbie to 4wd trucks, i had a tj before the jk, and for some reason the jk feels like pulling teeth when getting it into 4lo compared to my tj. I know the procedure for engaging 4wd, but my transfer-case does not like engaging. Is there any thing specific to 2008s that may be a problem? Ive gone to the dealer to test drive others and the transfer-case engages fine, takes a flick of the wrist.

Third question is about the rear pinch seems, the standard seem everyone seems to trim is the rears that are located near factory rocker guards. My question is how about the nice sharp piece of sheet metal that sticks out towards the back of the wheel well, its behind all the plastic wheel well liner in the rear fenders. Ill try to get a pic but my tire has nice chunks in it now because of this damned thing.

I also wanted to know if all manual tranny rubicons make so much god damn noise in 4lo. I feel like the 4:1 probably has something to do with it but it just sounds like a ton of gear slap when on and off the gas or clutch.

Any help is appreciated guys. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2010 2 door rubicon wiyh a 2 1/2' lift and 35s and it should go into low with no problelm , and not make any noise , thanks for the tip on cutting the back edge lip, I never looked at that and never read a thred about it
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

How many miles. I had a Cherokee that wouldn't go into low. I changed the T case oil and shifted like brand new. Maybe try that first
Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Second one is a question asked a lot, im sure ill get flamed for this one, Shifting my transfer case. Im no newbie to 4wd trucks, i had a tj before the jk, and for some reason the jk feels like pulling teeth when getting it into 4lo compared to my tj. I know the procedure for engaging 4wd, but my transfer-case does not like engaging. Is there any thing specific to 2008s that may be a problem? Ive gone to the dealer to test drive others and the transfer-case engages fine, takes a flick of the wrist. "

I have been wanting to reroute my cable ever sense I've broke the plastic clip on a trail. There is 2 holes in the floor board and the factory routed it through the closest hole toward both levers, witch creating that bind feeling. You need to take the center console out and fish a coat hanger "under the upper" shifting bracket to the second. LOL, had to be why Chry-sler didn't do it right the first time.

PS: Chrysler should be doing this
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08 and mine seems easy to get into 4 low. Hope you can get it figured out. Are you coasting with the transmission in neutral at about 1 to 2 mph?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My12redrubi
How many miles. I had a Cherokee that wouldn't go into low. I changed the T case oil and shifted like brand new. Maybe try that first
Changed the tcase oil at 50k, that was my initial thought, no dice though. Im at 61k now
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

@JK08MCS

I may try this. Do you have pictures? I have the tools to make a bracket or leaver, or whatever i may need. Just need to kniw where its binding

Last edited by J3rs3yd3vil; 05-27-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Team Desert Eagle
I have an 08 and mine seems easy to get into 4 low. Hope you can get it figured out. Are you coasting with the transmission in neutral at about 1 to 2 mph?
Ya, coasting 3-5 is what the manual says but usually do a slight roll, more like 1-2.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reroute

Originally Posted by J3rs3yd3vil
@JK08MCS

I may try this. Do you have pictures? I have the tools to make a bracket or leaver, or whatever i may need. Just need to kniw where its binding
All we have to do is reroute the shifter cable, so to have a larger arc. First get up under your jeep and make sure you have the cable routed through the first of two holes like my "08" Follow the shifter cable and you will see if its bent (not routed) into the first hole.

In assembly they placed the cable in, then later sinche the 4 wheel shifter assembly and was "good enough" for short time they had it
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

For your U joints, climb up under her and grab the front driveshaft, and rotate it back and forth. If your U's are bad the rotation will go through your gears and shaft and you'll see some movement in your U joints. I know, I totally destroyed mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	149072_10151335180151574_517975706_n.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	462120Click image for larger version

Name:	531901_10151335180021574_2126788782_n.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	462121

Quick Reply: Oppinions, advice, help needed 2008 jku rubicon