Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on tire carriers

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the ORFAB on my 2012 Jeep and it was a pain in the a$$ to install and I never did get it 100% right. Started sagging some as well and know others that have had the same problem. Liked it other than that and was well built but won't buy another.

Got the Teraflex carrier for the 2013 and love it. Simple to install although not dirt cheap but well made and looks good.

I love the look of the Genright and EVO but for me I just didn't want to go the route of corner armor and expense for the EVO. Not sure why I didn't go for the Genright but probably becuase of my bad experience with the ORFAB and you have to drill for installation of the catch on the Genright too I think. Just my humble opinions. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jim hensley
I had the ORFAB on my 2012 Jeep and it was a pain in the a$$ to install and I never did get it 100% right. Started sagging some as well and know others that have had the same problem. Liked it other than that and was well built but won't buy another.

Got the Teraflex carrier for the 2013 and love it. Simple to install although not dirt cheap but well made and looks good.

I love the look of the Genright and EVO but for me I just didn't want to go the route of corner armor and expense for the EVO. Not sure why I didn't go for the Genright but probably becuase of my bad experience with the ORFAB and you have to drill for installation of the catch on the Genright too I think. Just my humble opinions. Good luck.
Ya it seems like unless I want to spend 1500$, teraflex would be the best decision. It seems like all products in the 600$ price range has their problems. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Taboo customs out of Quincy Illinois. He is very easy to work with. Does very nice work.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

I have the or-fab and it is only a month old. Paint has been chipping off of it everywhere and it immediately rusts. I am constantly touching it up. I wish I would if bought the teraflex carrier instead.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

I also have the or-fab. Took me several hours to install it by myself because I measured and tested several times before drilling or tightening anything. However, never had any problems at all with it except for the rust. They really need to review their powdercoat process. I'll probably repaint the whole thing this Summer.

Having been running it for around one year and a half without any sagging problems at all and mine is the Jerry can version, which I already hung a 35in tire with two full cans and it did not sag. But again, it takes a lot of patience and time to install.

I chose the or-fab because it keeps the cans low and protected in case of rear impact.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I also have the or-fab. Took me several hours to install it by myself because I measured and tested several times before drilling or tightening anything. However, never had any problems at all with it except for the rust. They really need to review their powdercoat process. I'll probably repaint the whole thing this Summer.

Having been running it for around one year and a half without any sagging problems at all and mine is the Jerry can version, which I already hung a 35in tire with two full cans and it did not sag. But again, it takes a lot of patience and time to install.

I chose the or-fab because it keeps the cans low and protected in case of rear impact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3896274336.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	438835

Just Installed my GenRight today!!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just recently installed the rancho bumper/tire carrier and very satisfied . easy install , very heavy with good looking welds and looks like a quality piece . the tire swing is solid aas a rock and has no rattles .'the ONLY drawback inxan see is the latch. its just a hitch pin , but its def secure and you wont have to worry bout anlatch failure . just a lil inconvenient if your opening gate alot
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had this mounted for a few weeks now and love it. The latch plate is slightly off but latches well and doesnt rattle. Should have tripple checked myself before drilling but its only slightly off so not worried about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67956300@N03/8539715516/http://www.flickr.com/photos/67956300@N03/8539715516/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/67956300@N03/, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67956300@N03/8595199700/http://www.flickr.com/photos/67956300@N03/8595199700/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/67956300@N03/, on Flickr
Old 03-27-2013, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Teraflex is my choice, Low profile, strong, solid and great looking!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hinrichs
Had this mounted for a few weeks now and love it. The latch plate is slightly off but latches well and doesnt rattle. Should have tripple checked myself before drilling but its only slightly off so not worried about it.

snowjeep2 by .:hinrichs:., on Flickr

bumper rusty by .:hinrichs:., on Flickr
Is there a place to mount the Hi-Lift on the GenRight? And where do you relocate the 3rd brake light?

Quick Reply: Opinions on tire carriers