Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on tire carriers

Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be a waste if it was for a 35 you can find a tire carrier for 700 less I just ordered my Evo carrier with builder skins last week and it was almost 1800 hopefully it comes in soon. Ill have my 37s on it till they wear out and put 40s

Last edited by rb1boxer_3; 02-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Looks like I have to shake the want for top quality EvO gear lol. Maybe in 5 years when I have a 4dr on 40's.

I think I'm leaning more towards the teraflex. I like that it's attached to the gate and fairly light and cheap. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by J.cyr8
Thanks guys. Looks like I have to shake the want for top quality EvO gear lol. Maybe in 5 years when I have a 4dr on 40's.

I think I'm leaning more towards the teraflex. I like that it's attached to the gate and fairly light and cheap. Thanks for the help!
Oh yea I saw a tireflex carrier weld crack on a picture it was holding a 37 so idk if I'd go with that id be pist if it broke but who knows maybe it was a dud.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb1boxer_3

Oh yea I saw a tireflex carrier weld crack on a picture it was holding a 37 so idk if I'd go with that id be pist if it broke but who knows maybe it was a dud.
I heard another story about it cracking too! Lol. I wrote it off as a "must've been a dud". Now that's 2. And apparently the orfab tub carriers are poorly coated. You obviously get what you pay for, hence why I want quality products like EVO.

Hey Evo. Want to make a mini carrier that only holds up to a 35"? A bit lighter, smaller and cheaper? Puuuhlease
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

I've bought new Terraflex carrier for my Gekko, and I'll soon be putting on my Dozer. It just went on a buddies rig called Apacolypto. It is nice.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J.cyr8, I wanted to go with the lightest, shortest tailend I could find, so I also put the EVO d-ring mounts on, and I installed the TeraFlex hinge carrier last weekend. With a 35 I think it's perfect to keep the tire on the tailgate, again keeping the weight to a minimum.

While I was installing my carrier I identified a step where if you mismeasured the spacing of the adjustable tire carrier you could easily put a ton of stress on the welds when mounting the tire, especially using air tools. You have to make sure the spacing is just right so that the tire snugs against the carrier when it's installed, but can't pull the carrier mount plate away from the tailgate. The welds on the carrier look strong and professional to me; I'm a lot happier with the TF than when the tire was mounted on the stock carrier or on my Body Armor swing away carrier.

It's also very nice to just have a single swing between me and the rear area of the Jeep.

I'll have my TF carrier install write-up posted tomorrow.

Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Will there be a Hi-Lift Jack mount accessory for the EVO tire carrier?

Last edited by BoogieMan; 02-18-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by BoogieMan
Will there be a Hi-Lift Jack mount accessory for the EVO tire carrier?
No provisions for it, however you can mount it on the tubes using the mount kit from Hi lift.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertJeep
J.cyr8, I wanted to go with the lightest, shortest tailend I could find, so I also put the EVO d-ring mounts on, and I installed the TeraFlex hinge carrier last weekend. With a 35 I think it's perfect to keep the tire on the tailgate, again keeping the weight to a minimum.

While I was installing my carrier I identified a step where if you mismeasured the spacing of the adjustable tire carrier you could easily put a ton of stress on the welds when mounting the tire, especially using air tools. You have to make sure the spacing is just right so that the tire snugs against the carrier when it's installed, but can't pull the carrier mount plate away from the tailgate. The welds on the carrier look strong and professional to me; I'm a lot happier with the TF than when the tire was mounted on the stock carrier or on my Body Armor swing away carrier.

It's also very nice to just have a single swing between me and the rear area of the Jeep.

I'll have my TF carrier install write-up posted tomorrow.

Bill
Thanks! I guess if you install it properly, and don't cut any corners, it works fine...? Be sure to post some pics of that rear end of yours, I'd love to see what mine would look like.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up ordering the genright carrier, I was going to go with an evo but dont think I will be going over a 35 anytime soon so I didnt see the need for their carrier even thought I feel its the best. I did like the design and idea of the terafelx carrier but after seeing the problems they are having with it breaking I didnt want to run the risk of this happening to me as well.

Quick Reply: Opinions on tire carriers