Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on these parts?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on these parts?

Looking at getting some parts in the near future... trying to stay around $3000 give or take a few hundred...

12' rubi 4 door

Looking at a RC 3.5" lift and since they supposedly sag a little, thats why Im going 3.5

Goodyear wrangler MT/R's 33's... can't bring myself to pay $355 a tire for 35's when 33's are $100 less a tire. And KC windshield mounted lights.

Smittybilt stinger bumper and rear bumper, XRC8 winch.. Mostly all from Quadratec and comes out to be a tad less than $3300... Thinking about onboard air too.

Im thinking about doing exhaust and intake on it, but not sure if it'll make any difference other than sound.

-------

What do you guys think, we'll put a $4000 limit on the mods, my main concern is a slight lift, slightly larger than stock mud tries, front bumper mainly, would like a rear but can live without it for a while... Would like some sort of rock rails if possible, extra lighting, a winch and onboard air... Not trying to go crazy with it or kill my MPG completely lol

Anyone help to make me a build list? Also, anyone know when a tuner is supposed to be out for 2012s

Thanks guys!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump... anyone?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
Looking at getting some parts in the near future... trying to stay around $3000 give or take a few hundred...

12' rubi 4 door

Looking at a RC 3.5" lift and since they supposedly sag a little, thats why Im going 3.5

Goodyear wrangler MT/R's 33's... can't bring myself to pay $355 a tire for 35's when 33's are $100 less a tire. And KC windshield mounted lights.

Smittybilt stinger bumper and rear bumper, XRC8 winch.. Mostly all from Quadratec and comes out to be a tad less than $3300... Thinking about onboard air too.

Im thinking about doing exhaust and intake on it, but not sure if it'll make any difference other than sound.

-------

What do you guys think, we'll put a $4000 limit on the mods, my main concern is a slight lift, slightly larger than stock mud tries, front bumper mainly, would like a rear but can live without it for a while... Would like some sort of rock rails if possible, extra lighting, a winch and onboard air... Not trying to go crazy with it or kill my MPG completely lol

Anyone help to make me a build list? Also, anyone know when a tuner is supposed to be out for 2012s

Thanks guys!

Sounds like a good list but why would you buy a lift if you believe it has a reputation for sagging? I would look at the RK 2.5, TF 2.5, or AEV 2.5 personally. I would save my money on the intake and exhaust and maybe use that towards some rock sliders or underside protection.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poker5150
Sounds like a good list but why would you buy a lift if you believe it has a reputation for sagging? I would look at the RK 2.5, TF 2.5, or AEV 2.5 personally. I would save my money on the intake and exhaust and maybe use that towards some rock sliders or underside protection.
Well, I've read more positive things about RC lifts than neg. by far... but I mentioned that because it is the only con that I've ever read about them.. and I figured most lifts would sag with metal bumpers, bigger tire on the carrier.. etc.. or am I wrong?

My main attraction to the RC lift was that its $300+ cheaper than others. The teraflex one Im looking at is $730 where as the RC is $400

As for exhaust, I may just look for a flowmaster muffler and weld it in for cheap and good sound.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe take a look at the Rancho lifts. WOL recommends them and I would trust his opinion. I'm sure the RC lifts are good....Not knocking them at all. But in the end I would be more inclined to spend money on wheels, tires, and a good quality lift before any money gets spent on intake and exhaust.

Last edited by Poker5150; 03-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poker5150
Maybe take a look at the Rancho lifts. WOL recommends them and I would trust his opinion. I'm sure the RC lifts are good....Not knocking them at all. But in the end I would be more inclined to spend money on wheels, tires, and a good quality lift before any money gets spent on intake and exhaust.
the rancho lifts only come in 4" that I see... I've already looked at them since thats what ford uses on their new super duty trucks... but with a 4" you have to do exhaust mods and what not and im not wanting to spend a lot on tires and 33's on a 4" lift would look too small.

I just feel like there has to be a better priced lift out there than the TF for $730. But I have a feeling I'll end up with that and tires.. and then see what my budget allowes for bumpers and winches... I want a winch more than bumpers, just incase I ever get stuck.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default put the cash somewhere else

you are not going to gain your moneys worth out of an intake(trust me i know first hand), as far as the rough country lift is concerned...... the money you dont spend on the intake put that toward a Rock Krawler or teraflex lift. The main thing is do what makes you happy, I HAD a rough country lift and after almost a year of moderate wheeling it sagged so bad i GAVE (yes GAVE) it away and installed a RK and have been pleased so far. Look at profile for complete list of mods, but in the end its your jeep and everybody will have their own idea on which lift you should buy and more likely than not it will be the lift they have on their ride. Take it for what its worth but this info came from my own experience. Just a lil FYI quadratec is a fairly decent co. but will rape you on the shipping, call dave at northridge or whatever co you wish but there are folks out there that will not charge shipping if you spend a given amount.

Last edited by River Runner; 03-30-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

4wd.com has free shipping on orders over $138 right now. And i can say that you WILL see if a difference when you combine intake, exhaust, performance coil and tuner!

I went with the S&B cold air intake (Ontario California). They were the only company that offered real test data on their products. My only complaint is the open front bottom edge of the air box is open and a direct LOS to the front tires, which can shoot water directly into the air box. I installed this # years ago in February... Michigan winter.. the first day, i drove home, opened the hood, and saw slush inside the air box. I called and asked S&B if they could send me a box without the cutout. One of their engineers called me back in less than an hour. He said no, simply because it would interfere with other hardware near the box. Solved with duct tape and a prefilter. (Less than $300)
+
Performance Ignition Screamin Demon coil and wires. ($189)
+
Custom made rear section with Flowmaster dual out 40 series. ($300 at reputable and recommended muffler shop)
=
A very noticeable power gain!

Its not in my budget right now, but i want a Superchips Flashpaq, and headers. After that, theres nothing more that can be done without pulling the engine... which reminds me, i have a spare set of heads.... port?... polish?...hmm!....
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875

the rancho lifts only come in 4" that I see... I've already looked at them since thats what ford uses on their new super duty trucks... but with a 4" you have to do exhaust mods and what not and im not wanting to spend a lot on tires and 33's on a 4" lift would look too small.

I just feel like there has to be a better priced lift out there than the TF for $730. But I have a feeling I'll end up with that and tires.. and then see what my budget allowes for bumpers and winches... I want a winch more than bumpers, just incase I ever get stuck.

Maybe you should just go with a budget boost by TF or AEV and spend the rest of your budget on tires, bumpers, and a winch. A decent 2.5 inch lift (which comes out to 3-3.5 btw) is going to cost in the $700-$1000 range. Bumpers (front and rear) $1000-2000. Winch $350-1200 ( all rough figures). And Im going to say it again, if you are going to do any off-roading that is going to involve rocks and/or major articulation, I would highly recommend underside protection.

I would spend the money and do the RK, TF or AEV 2.5 lift. You get better springs and shocks that will help maintain the additional weight of bumpers/winches. Good luck in your decision making.

Last edited by Poker5150; 03-30-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Why not an OME HD kit? If you want you can add adjustable track bars and control arms (I added trackbars and LCAs). As for tires, check out the 315 Duratracs 4Wheel Parts has for $275 (with a $60 rebate when you buy a set). Put those on some nice aluminum rims and you have plenty left over for your bumpers and winch.
I'd personally skip the CAI, TBS, and coil stuff... A majority of people feel they are snake oil. Remember that the computer sensing everything going on and makes changes to the engine to keep the performance constant. I've yet to see a Dino that really supports any performance worth the cost of this stuff.
As to the performance boosters, I Know that since Jeep went to the floating code Superchips has been stymied, but I hear Diablo has made some progess

Quick Reply: Opinions on these parts?