Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on stock versus aftermarket exhaust on 3.8L JK Unlimited ?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on stock versus aftermarket exhaust on 3.8L JK Unlimited ?

So after being rear ended by a ground hugger that only scraped the paint on my Smittybilt bumper and lightly dented the stock exhaust, I took the opportunity to replace the stock exhaust on my 2011 JK Unlimited with a Dynomax Super Turbo Axle Back Exhaust with the dual rear exits.

After driving it only a few days, it's coming off asap after my hearing comes back. The drone is so loud inside the vehicle you have to yell to be heard. It's especially bad at low RPM's, like around 1500 - 1700, when cruising down the highway. It was so bad that I turned off the Overdrive so it would cruise at a higher RPM to lower the droning while driving down the road.

So, the stock exhaust is going back on until I do some more research.

I'm curious to hear from others on your opinions on the exhaust. I think I had pie-in-sky ideas about having a nice, more robust sound, without it being nearly unlivable inside the cab for more than a few minutes of driving. I drive nearly 2+ hours each day commuting to work with this, when it's not getting muddy on the weekends.

I don't know how loud other exhaust options are, but if I were to rank the stock exhaust as a 1 on the "Quiet to Loud" scale, I'd probably give the Dynomax Super Turbo a 9 or more. In other words, way beyond what I think I was really looking for. It sounds awesome idling in the driveway or at a stop sign, but then the love affair ends when the gas pedal goes down.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

TX
Old 01-24-2015, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Banks Monster system, it drones pretty badly as well. I had an old mustang with turn downs right before the rear axle, no cats and magna flow mufflers and it wasn't as loud as my jeep is. There really is almost no sound protection for the belly of the jeep so it seems like the sound waves just bounce around in the cab like a group of overly hyper tiny Dalmatian puppies, just less hilarious and more headache causing. A lot of people have had a good experience with the MBRP setup as well as the flow master super 40 (someone shame me if I'm wrong) muffler.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It isn't cheap. Which us why it is good. The Dominion Off-road exhaust. Brett Woods, business owner and one of the founding sponsors of this forum, tested all of the available exhausts. And they were all too loud. So he made his own. It is beautifully made--100% stainless steel. Every single nut, bracket, washer, even the welds. No compromises. But, you need to move your evaporative canister, adding to the cost. If you want to listen to it, go to my YouTube channel (DigitalByDoiron) and play Campo Road.

Campo Road, May 2014: http://youtu.be/A77-7i5DrpE Edit: BTW, listen to it on a real sound system. Your phone or tablet will give you no idea how this exhaust really sounds.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-24-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

3 years ago, I replaced my MBRP with the Dominion model and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It isn't cheap. Which us why it is good. The Dominion Off-road exhaust. Brett Woods, business owner and one of the founding sponsors of this forum, tested all of the available exhausts. And they were all too loud. So he made his own. It is beautifully made--100% stainless steel. Every single nut, bracket, washer, even the welds. No compromises. But, you need to move your evaporative canister, adding to the cost. If you want to listen to it, go to my YouTube channel (DigitalByDoiron) and play Campo Road. Campo Road, May 2014: Video Link: http://youtu.be/A77-7i5DrpE Edit: BTW, listen to it on a real sound system. Your phone or tablet will give you no idea how this exhaust really sounds.
That sounds awesome !

Quick Reply: Opinions on stock versus aftermarket exhaust on 3.8L JK Unlimited ?