Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions needed - Winch Selection

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
If you like the look and the price is right for the Warn 8000M Winch get it and just add a snatch block and you basically doubled your pulling to 16000lbs. A few months ago a friend that had a Warn 8000M on his truck pulled out my +8000lb Dodge Ram CTD out of a mud pit without a blink of an eye. Warn 8000M should have no real issues pulling out a JKU.
There's always that option... I thought I had the winch decided on till I read some posts about going with a 9K+. Keep leaning towards the Warn for their legendary reliability 2nd to none... Yet to find any negative reports on these as compared to other brands... And then came another name - Tabor....

Originally Posted by ECHO
Isn't it great to have so many options.. it just sucks.. picking which one...
Ohhhhhhhhhh gotta love it!!!! Sometimes, the more I research, the more confused I get... or well, uhmmm - undecided...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Wubicon
I'm in the same place you are, looking at the same winches.

I keep thinking of the M8000 I had on my last Jeep and how great it was. I used it enough to rebuild it once, and it never let me down.

I think a working M8000 is better than a broken chinese winch with synthetic rope.

I'm not saying they are going to break, but when you need a winch you really need it. The few bucks you may save won't be worth it if you ever have a problem.

You can use a snatch block and other tactics to make the M8000 work if you need to. Most pulls don't require full capacity anyhow.

At $539 the M8000 is cheaper than it was 10 years ago. How often does that happen?

Its almost like Warn is trying to fight the imports and keep some of the market share.....

I plan to get the M8000 and change to a synth rope when the cable gets worn in a few years.
Which is what I keep going back to - sometimes, you may get a decent product for a cheap price - but on this, I'd rather take my time and decide if I should just wait and save up enough to get a better model... Have nothing against imported products, but I'd sure hate for one to break when you need it the most.

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Yep...went through this about 2 months ago....

looked at XRC-8 and 10, Superwinch, Mile marker.......got lucky a few days later Warn had a sale at my local autoparts store...Jumped into a Warn XD9000i for cheaper than I could ship a XRC or Superwinch or Mile Marker from the States.
LOL... I keep hoping... and hoping.... I'm always at the wrong place at the right time
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi

I felt the same way, about lights... Then Lifts... Then Tires... Then Bumpers.. & now snorkels.. I feel lost when I am not researching or deciding on my next mod..
My luck has always been that no matter how much time I spend researching something, I always end up coming short in the end
Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SmittyBilt XRC-10 Comp With Synth Line for same price shipped to your door.. Great for 4-doors..
This is what I put on about a month ago.

During this last snow storm this past weekend, I used it to recover 6 other vehicles. 2 were VERY STUCK pickups in ditches. 1 had a plow on the front. I moved to solid ground where I had traction, and it worked wonderfully. Love the synthetic line. I don't know that either of these two would have worked with a 8k winch, maybe it would have. The 10K was working at it for a couple of moments but was able to pull it off. But anyway I was glad to have the higher capacity just in case.

It is well built from a standpoint of looking well put together etc.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi

Thats where I rely and blame you guys for everything that goes wrong.. to my wife..

Just kidding, I have done well with everyones help to make good choices and am happy with my mods so far...

Well, I know that I owe the amount of knowledge I've gained over the last year to many members here... And I value their input a lot more than many independent reviews
Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi

Same here.. good luck with your winch choice.. make sure you post up some good pixs.. once you have it
Will do... I just hope it's not of one IN action

Sometimes, having the ability makes you do things you normally wouldn't
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

A M8000 is is rated for 100ft of 5/16th and will come with steel cable unless you find some special deal. Synth is better but no need to change out right away. Cable is not the week point. 5/16 is standard on 9.5K winches (generally).

an M8000 is rated for 6200+ lbs at 4th wrap and if you're yanking a 5000lbs jk, you should be ok. Worst case is that in a hard pull, you're amperage pull will jump way up (450 amps). Using a snatch block as suggest above would be a good idea in these hard pull cases. Also, keeping the pulls to short burst helps everything cool down and the battery to recharge a little.

This winch would be faster than a 9.5K winch since the large winch will have more gearing so slower speed. But a larger winch will be able to handle those hard pulls better and will pull less amperage than the small winch under heavy conditions.

Overall I see no reason why the M8000 shouldn't work just fine. I'd prefer a warn over some chinese brand. Unles you plan long deep mud pulls you don't really need a mega winch. The only reason I have the winch I have (12K powerplant) is becuase my father in law got it for me for x-mas to my suprise. I definately like it, but it's overkill for what I'm going to need.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

I like my chinese winch. It has gotten good reviews, here, Petersons offroad, JP magazine. I mean, no, its not a warn, and yea I would have prefered a warn, but being a college student, I just couldn't swing buying the M8000 for 500+ and add on another 250+ for synthetic rope. Not for the use ill get out of it anyways. If this one craps out, THEN I will have an excuse to get a warn. But good luck with your decision!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ssunde1
I like my chinese winch. It has gotten good reviews, here, Petersons offroad, JP magazine. I mean, no, its not a warn, and yea I would have prefered a warn, but being a college student, I just couldn't swing buying the M8000 for 500+ and add on another 250+ for synthetic rope. Not for the use ill get out of it anyways. If this one craps out, THEN I will have an excuse to get a warn. But good luck with your decision!
I know the Smitty's are not bad for the money - but it's one of those things that I'd rather do it once and be set for a while [hopefully, a LOOOOOOOOOONG while]. Synthetic rope is nice, but not on my list of priorities - not near as much as budget is.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FlameRed
A M8000 is is rated for 100ft of 5/16th and will come with steel cable unless you find some special deal. Synth is better but no need to change out right away. Cable is not the week point. 5/16 is standard on 9.5K winches (generally).

an M8000 is rated for 6200+ lbs at 4th wrap and if you're yanking a 5000lbs jk, you should be ok. Worst case is that in a hard pull, you're amperage pull will jump way up (450 amps). Using a snatch block as suggest above would be a good idea in these hard pull cases. Also, keeping the pulls to short burst helps everything cool down and the battery to recharge a little.

This winch would be faster than a 9.5K winch since the large winch will have more gearing so slower speed. But a larger winch will be able to handle those hard pulls better and will pull less amperage than the small winch under heavy conditions.

Overall I see no reason why the M8000 shouldn't work just fine. I'd prefer a warn over some chinese brand. Unles you plan long deep mud pulls you don't really need a mega winch. The only reason I have the winch I have (12K powerplant) is becuase my father in law got it for me for x-mas to my suprise. I definately like it, but it's overkill for what I'm going to need.
I did a fair amount of reading on the amp usage by smaller winches as compared to the larger ones as well. While speed is not high on the priority, it would be nice to have a decent speed winch that doesn't have to work overly hard [don't quite have a dual battery setup just yet]. Again, I keep going back over the fact that this may not see much use [I try hard NOT to get stuck - yeah, blasphemy, I know] but those unforeseen situations where you end up in that you didn't plan on, or when weather dictates, having the ability to help someone out would be nice

On this note, I did talk to another member on here about the Tabor 9K winch - anyone else use a Tabor? Any feedback on these?

Quick Reply: Opinions needed - Winch Selection