Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions needed please..

Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed please..

So the Mrs has finally relented and given me the go ahead to spend up to $5000 modding the Jeep. (Finally..). I mostly do FSR, some water crossings and the deep-woods rocky trails when I find them. Here's what I'm looking at and would like some input from the more experienced wheelers out there if possible.. BTW this is going on a 2011 Rubi Unlimited.

1. Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Front Bumper with Brawler Bar

2. LoD Jeep JK Wrangler Signature Series Rear Bumper with the Generation 3 Tire Carrier (Looking for a cheaper one, but don't want to compromise on quality)

3. Rigid Industries Dually LED Flood Lights and brackets for windshield

4. AEV JK Snorkel with Air Ram

5. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel kit (want to stay away from a BB if possible)

6. 35" Tires, most likely KM2's as I really like the KM's I have now, but open to suggestions.. (hopefully not going to be part of the $$$..we'll see..)

7. Decent winch that I can find for a great price (hopefully)

So, is this a good plan so far? It's hard pricing what I want VS what I can get for the price (that makes sense?). Being from Canada, the prices are usually a few hundred more than the US, but hopefully Northridge4x4.ca can cut a deal at the time..we'll see..fingers crossed..
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent plan so far. Why not go with the Rusty's 3.25". Little more lift, better kit, and you won't rub with the 35s.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go to 35's you will want to be able to correct the spedometer, look at Superchips or ProCal etc.....

The rest of you list looks good
Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oops, forgot to put the ProCal in there, will be getting that for sure.. I'll check into Rusty's kit, but I'm limited to what I can find within Canada. I paid to bring my old RC lift over from the states and it damn near doubled the price !! Basically, I'm using Northridge Canada's site for all purchases, so whatever is availble on there..
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spetz
Oops, forgot to put the ProCal in there, will be getting that for sure.. I'll check into Rusty's kit, but I'm limited to what I can find within Canada. I paid to bring my old RC lift over from the states and it damn near doubled the price !! Basically, I'm using Northridge Canada's site for all purchases, so whatever is availble on there..
Stan at Northridge Canada deals EVO MFG

You really need C-Gussets at a minumum on 35's...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

May want to check out the A.C.E. rear bumper/tire carrier. I dont personally have one, but have some of their other gear and its rock solid. Much cheaper to boot as well.

Have you checked out the Rugged Ridge snorkel system? Not out yet, but pretty nice that you dont have to cut your hood to install.

Quadratec seems to be making some nice winches pretty cheap, but also worth checking out Recon. I've seen the Recons in action and they are great winches for the price.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks like a solid list and good suggestions to consider up to this point too. My 2 cents would be that some skids might not be money mis-spent either.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default I hate to ask a question rather than answer one...

But

I’m also looking at the RK 2.5 Max Travel and thought it would handle 35’s without rubbing (maybe having to trim the rock rails to not have that happen?) I have an ’11 jku 4dr Rubi also. I’d definitely like 35’s. Should I just spend the extra $500-$1000 and go for one of the RK 3.5’s? If don’t know this by experience, but I feel like if I go for a 3.5” lift that’s not a higher end lift (getting the 3.5 flex system for about the same price as the 2.5 Max compared to the 3.5 Max Travel that’s +$1k from the 2.5), I’ll give up the geometry and articulation just to have a higher ride and mine’s a DD so I need, and I really want (and by that I mean my wife really wants it because of kid, and in reality, I want it also), a good on-road ride also. And like most, I’d love to be driving on dirt, rocks, up the side of mountains and through water 90% of the time, but it’s more like 90/10 on road to offroad. I also don’t want to skimp out on my off road mods because I’ll give up super fancy non-functional wheels or other trim, but I’d like to concentrate on what gets the s**t done when I’m wheelin. Or if I start getting into the $2k lifts, should I just invest the extra and go for a 3.5 long arm like Rubi Express? I’m not looking to regear though, so 35’s are all I want, and please tell me if 35’s are too much for that.
One more odd ball question: I park in a garage for work that’s a 6’ clearance. Any lift will have me finding a new garage because I’m almost scalping myself with the top off already. If I do a 2.5-3.5 lift and 35’s, can anyone tell me how tall my Jeep will be? Is it simple math: 2.5 or 3.5+ half the difference between 35 and 32, so 2.5 (or 3.5)+ 1.5=4 (or 5) more in height?
Thanks all.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

The first thing you need to do is swap in 5.38 gears so you can use the 35 inch rubber! If you have the auto that is. Didn't really catch what trans you are running. Yukon makes great gears and they are quiet and strong. The auto jks need 4.88 at a mimiumn just to pull the factory 32 inch rubber. That's the 7 come 11 models which are all defective from the factory with the 4 speed auto. Jeep fixed the problem in 12 models, much to late for hundreds of thousands of us dumb enough to spend 30 to 40 k for a factory defective product. It's a jeep thing so for about 3 k I regeared and locked the front and got over it!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
The first thing you need to do is swap in 5.38 gears so you can use the 35 inch rubber! If you have the auto that is. Didn't really catch what trans you are running. Yukon makes great gears and they are quiet and strong. The auto jks need 4.88 at a mimiumn just to pull the factory 32 inch rubber. That's the 7 come 11 models which are all defective from the factory with the 4 speed auto. Jeep fixed the problem in 12 models, much to late for hundreds of thousands of us dumb enough to spend 30 to 40 k for a factory defective product. It's a jeep thing so for about 3 k I regeared and locked the front and got over it!
Manual Rubicon so I'm hoping that my current gears will be ok for 35's. I've read that until you get to 37's you're ok. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply: Opinions needed please..