Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

opinions on hitch mount cargo rack for beach driving

Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No need for a high lift if Jeep is stock except that with the right accessories, it doubles as a winch

4L is definitely the way to go if you have an auto trans. I have a trans temp gauge and can tell you for sure that your transmission will run MUCH cooler in 4L

As far as sand driving is concerned:

Always make sure your front wheels are strait when starting to move from a stop. Additionally,when starting from a stop, always back up strait approx 5-10ft before going forward.

A bucket, a 12x12 hardwood or thick plywood, bucket , and shovel are good things to carry with you.

You will have a great time. Kudos to you for caring enough about your family to ask these questions.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been going to carova for years with a hitch basket. You won't have any issues. Air down to 15. Most days I never even put it in 4wd as it's just not needed. Unless you are pulling someone out, you will never need 4low.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent the past week on the beach on Cape Cod. I saw numerous vehicles with the rear hitch baskets and some non-Jeeps were scraping. Aside from full-size pickups, the Jeeps had the best ground clearance, however it was the departure angle on the JK that made the difference.

Others went off-topic with advice, so I'll throw in my 2 cents since this was my first time beaching with my Jeep:

- Get a 12v compressor, a good compressor. Based on Amazon I bought a Viair, it performed flawlessly. Helps when there is a wait for the hose at the air down/up areas. It allowed us to go to a more remote location that didn't have an air up station. It also helped with my wife's peace of mind because we were that much more self-sufficient.
- Tire deflators: The first day it took me forever deflating each tire one-by-one. I noticed a lady using these valve stem add-ons that automatically aired down. She had them stop above her desired psi and aired down manually from there. I couldn't find those in the local stores so I put my kids and wife to work airing down. Saved a lot of time.
- Make sure your jack works before you go out. Didn't have a problem with the Jeep, but years ago with another car I went to change a flat, only to find part of the crank was missing. Lesson learned.
- When we got home, to remove the salty sand off the bottom of the Jeep I slid a sprinkler underneath for about 5 minutes.

Have fun!

Gratuitous picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3739782034.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	487666

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum. Pleaze excuse auto-correct erors.

Last edited by analogkid203; 08-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do carry a few 2x8's in 4-5' lengths and a shovel. In all my years in carova, I've never needed them, but I have them strapped and ready if I ever do.

The idiots you will see stuck daily are either not aired down or in a low ground clearance vehicle. NC sand is like no other sand in the country.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71Luber
NC sand is like no other sand in the country.
And that's what most people fail to understand. It really isn't bad down there at all. People who get stuck are simply doing it wrong.

My apologies but your honda ridgeline does not belong on the beach- I've pulled too many of them out down there.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls

And that's what most people fail to understand. It really isn't bad down there at all. People who get stuck are simply doing it wrong.

My apologies but your honda ridgeline does not belong on the beach- I've pulled too many of them out down there.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

I would have gone with subaru outback wagon, but yeah, I agree.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NC beach sand is a Joke... I don't air down and most of the time I run in 4H. Though the transmission starts to get hot if I do it for long in Deep fluffy sand. So I usually stick with 3rd or 4th gear in 4L

Here is a picture of our Jeep club at North Top Sail beach. We had a Friend in a WRX come and he only got stuck 1 time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	N Topsail Beach.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	487770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach Crawling.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	487771  

Quick Reply: opinions on hitch mount cargo rack for beach driving