Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

opinions on hitch mount cargo rack for beach driving

Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on hitch mount cargo rack for beach driving

I have an 2011 JKU, which I have yet to really take offroading (not counting the occasional trip through a slightly muddy field). I'm heading to the outer banks this weekend, Carova Beach, just north of Corolla. I'm slightly nervous about taking it on the beach since the lady we're renting the house from has told me horror stories of people getting stuck. Anyway, my JKU just has the stock 17" sport rims and no other offroad modifications. I'm just planning on airing down to 15 psi, put her in 4hi and take it easy. I wouldn't be so worried about it, but I will be transporting my entire family from the overflow parking through 7 miles of beach driving (it will take 2 trips). If it was just me I wouldn't be too worried about getting stuck, but I don't want to get stuck while transporting my young children, wife, dog, mom, sister, nieces, luggage, etc... Also, since we will have some weight in the jeep from people/luggage, plus we're getting in around high-tide, I'm hoping I don't have to spend too much time driving on the soft sand up by the dune.

Anyway, back to the cargo rack question. To help transport stuff from the overflow lot to the house, and also to transport beach stuff from the house to the beach, I got a hitch mounted cargo platform. I don't plan on weighing it down too much (just a cooler, a couple of collapsable beach wagons, chairs, etc... ) but I am worried about the possibility of it dragging if i get stuck in deep ruts or maybe driving over the dune on the way to/from the house. The rack is right at hitch reciever height, and the front of the platform barely clears the spare, and is 20"x60". I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but I'm a very paranoid person by nature. I am having thoughts of getting stuck in the soft sand for hours with a crying baby and angry wife. I'm tempted to go buy one of the cheap harbor freight mini shovels just in case.

If you guys have any thoughts on whether I should be fine, or maybe should invest in a hitch extension riser to get more clearance on the platform? I thought about it, but while it would have more clearance, now it stick even farther back, so I'm not sure how helpful that would be. Also, any other high-tide beach driving tips would be appreciated. I just don't want to end up one of those "sucks to be that guy" videos on youtube, or be easy prey for an opportunistic local looking to pull the out-of-town idiot out of the sand a dozen times over the course of the week.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4H depending on how soft and deep the sand is will put a strain on the Jeep but its doable. I suggest 4L. If you have a manual 3rd gear is a good one to drive around in. Or for a auto just drive it. Transmission will get hot depending on how far you are driving in deep soft sand so watch that.

As for the basket I have one you will be fine in the beach with it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MeandJackal.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	486681   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Beach.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	486682   Click image for larger version

Name:	To the Left.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	486683   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeachCrawl.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	486684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surfing.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	486685  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 08-09-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine, but you really should take things with you since you know that you are driving on sand. A Shovel shouldn't be an "if." It's definitely a must have. Some tow straps, a jack board (12" x 12" board you can put your jack on so you can use it in the sand), and a compressor so you can air up again.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Just keep the wheels moving on the sand and if you start to dig in, stop.

I drove my jeep stock on the beaches out east and just used that. Our life guards out here in SoCal just lower the air pressure, use 4hi and go SLOW. Unless you spin tires, you should be fine.

If you cargo rack is to low, you could always pick up a hitch raiser. On our mini van we use a 10" raise to keep it from bottoming out.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

15 psi, 4 Hi, no problems. Ride in the ruts of those who have gone before you or look for packed sand (usually closer to shore). You should always carry a shovel, jack, and a base for your jack (aka 2x12 8"-10" long). Have fun!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What mack said...the lifeguards roll jeeps here all day and just run low pressure keep consistent and relax...after the first run you will release and realize its not bad at all....

Medium speed, consistent, don't turn hard and quick (unless doing donuts lol)....

You can always go down to the waterline for harder sand as long as its a longer sloped beach and doesn't just go deep....

Either way have a GREAT trip that sounds like a blast....I'd like to go do that some day...

If your really worried about it bring 2 boards 12" x 3' it makes a platform to stick under tires to get up on if stuck. When stuck dig down put em under the tires so it gets traction and goes up on....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

You will be fine just use these tips above. For some crazy reason you get stuck a 5 gallon bucket is a great shove a bucket of ocean water will harden the sand and get you out.

2014 on Order!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I don't think it's too low (see pic below), but I just don't know how steep the dunes are or how deep the ruts are. As for shovel, I'll go pick one up, but should I be concerned about having a high lift jack and wood for a base?

Also, I have 2 different ways of inflating (not including a gas station). I have a little pancake compressor that I can fill up ahead of time but would take up a lot of room, or I also have a little lighter-powered compressor, but that would take forever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0485.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	486742  

Last edited by keghead; 08-09-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4L is what most will say but 4hi will work as well, just remember momentum is key.
Height of the carrier looks fine just keep in mind any steep dunes as not to drag the carrier.
A high lift jack works well but you'll still need a piece of board to place the jack on in order to use it on sand. Just an FYI stock jeeps don't really have any points to place a high lift jack on.
Shovel and bucket are a must, tow strap or snatch strap as well but it would require another vehicle to be of any use.
If the wife is nerves take the gear first while they have a picnic, just take someone with you. This will lighten your load and give you a chance to test out the trail.
Good luck!!
Augi
Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keghead
I have an 2011 JKU, which I have yet to really take offroading (not counting the occasional trip through a slightly muddy field). I'm heading to the outer banks this weekend, Carova Beach, just north of Corolla. I'm slightly nervous about taking it on the beach since the lady we're renting the house from has told me horror stories of people getting stuck. Anyway, my JKU just has the stock 17" sport rims and no other offroad modifications. I'm just planning on airing down to 15 psi, put her in 4hi and take it easy. I wouldn't be so worried about it, but I will be transporting my entire family from the overflow parking through 7 miles of beach driving (it will take 2 trips). If it was just me I wouldn't be too worried about getting stuck, but I don't want to get stuck while transporting my young children, wife, dog, mom, sister, nieces, luggage, etc... Also, since we will have some weight in the jeep from people/luggage, plus we're getting in around high-tide, I'm hoping I don't have to spend too much time driving on the soft sand up by the dune.

Anyway, back to the cargo rack question. To help transport stuff from the overflow lot to the house, and also to transport beach stuff from the house to the beach, I got a hitch mounted cargo platform. I don't plan on weighing it down too much (just a cooler, a couple of collapsable beach wagons, chairs, etc... ) but I am worried about the possibility of it dragging if i get stuck in deep ruts or maybe driving over the dune on the way to/from the house. The rack is right at hitch reciever height, and the front of the platform barely clears the spare, and is 20"x60". I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but I'm a very paranoid person by nature. I am having thoughts of getting stuck in the soft sand for hours with a crying baby and angry wife. I'm tempted to go buy one of the cheap harbor freight mini shovels just in case.

If you guys have any thoughts on whether I should be fine, or maybe should invest in a hitch extension riser to get more clearance on the platform? I thought about it, but while it would have more clearance, now it stick even farther back, so I'm not sure how helpful that would be. Also, any other high-tide beach driving tips would be appreciated. I just don't want to end up one of those "sucks to be that guy" videos on youtube, or be easy prey for an opportunistic local looking to pull the out-of-town idiot out of the sand a dozen times over the course of the week.
I just got back from Carova Beach 2 weeks ago. Not sure who you are renting from but we rented from Twiddy, and they will come get you if you get stuck. They even have an air station at their office, if that's who you are renting from. They man it for check out day, and aired up everyone's tires for them.
What I can tell you is air down, most of the people we saw out there were recommending 10psi or lower, I did around 13. Also, don't try and plow through the ruts that the BIG trucks make in the soft sand, with my 35s and 4" lift I could sometimes feel the diff dragging, but didn't have any problems. Just keep it slow and steady, and you shouldn't have any problems. I saw plenty of stock jeeps driving the beach everyday.
If you are 7 miles up the beach, like we were, it will take you 20+ mins each way to get to the house. Keep that in mind when figuring time for transporting everyone to and from the house. Speed limit is 30-35 when you are not near anyone, and 15 when you are near people.
Look at the tide charts, high tide brings the water to the base of one house that was about 1/2 way to our house, and getting through it was "fun," even got some applause from people sitting around when I had to go through.
And Twiddy said don't go through the puddles, even though they look fun they can be really deep.

We had the hitch mount cargo racks on both jeeps, one was the same as your picture, and didn't have any issues. Unless your's angles down from the hitch, you should be fine, even going over the dunes to the houses.

Have fun. Go exploring. Enjoy seeing the wild horses, we had 5 of them in our car port when we arrived. Post pics.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by flick; 08-09-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: opinions on hitch mount cargo rack for beach driving