Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on DIY cargo lid for JKU

Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on DIY cargo lid for JKU

Hello everyone – I’m a long time lurker but this is one of my first posts. Please forgive me if this is in the wrong location.

I have a 2015 JKU and I’ve been researching the idea of building my own rear cargo lid, but before I start the project I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have done this mod. What type of materials did you use (plywood and hydro turf seem to be the most popular)? Is there anything you would have done different? Do you have any tips or tricks on how to tackle certain areas? I plan on using this strictly in the warmer months with my soft top and remove it for the winter and put my hard top back on.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this!

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

I can relate as a fellow lurker. I, too, did tons of research on DIY covers. The are some great ideas in this and other forums designed by some folks with some amazing skills.

I went as far as buying some foam boards and laying them out to create a pattern to cut. The more work I did, the more I realized that I had to do. I soon realized that that time is money and since my ultimate goal was to have a lockable space for when I went topless or the soft top, I looked at some products on the market. I compared my DIY plan with them and decided on the tuffy security deck.

I love to work on my jeep and spending money on something that I could build myself initially pained me. But peace of mind on something that I knew was secure and a quick turnaround so that I could start enjoying it made it an easier decision.

I share this with you not knowing your skills, tools, aptitude, or amount of free time. Everyone's journey is different, but faced with the same question you posed, I'm just sharing my path.

Good luck. And if you do build out yourself, please post pictures.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amorth
Do you have any tips or tricks on how to tackle certain areas? I plan on using this strictly in the warmer months with my soft top and remove it for the winter and put my hard top back on.
I have Security and additional Cargo carrying covered. If I were to do the rear again, I'd attempt to make it water-tight for the lower trunk.

With the side windows removed and the soft-top up, rain finds its way into the lower trunk both with the Tuffy Security Deck and the Bestop Duster cover.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

For a 2-door but perhaps it will give you ideas.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/homemade-rear-cargo-trunk-$48-37533/
Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
If I were to do the rear again, I'd attempt to make it water-tight for the lower trunk.
I think I understand what you're saying here. Are you referring to having the cargo/security lid lay on top of the body (extend outside the Jeep if you will)? What I was planning on doing was having enough plywood where when I lay it down on the rear, I would take a pencil and trace out the shape of the Jeep - so essentially the plywood would be flush with the outside panels. It would bolt in to the hard top bolt holes and I'd place weatherstipping on the underside of the wood so it helps create a watertight seal again the Jeep frame.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I understand what you're saying here. Are you referring to having the cargo/security lid lay on top of the body ?.
Yes.

What I was planning on doing was having enough plywood where when I lay it down on the rear, I would take a pencil and trace out the shape of the Jeep - so essentially the plywood would be flush with the outside panels. It would bolt in to the hard top bolt holes and I'd place weatherstipping on the underside of the wood so it helps create a watertight seal again the Jeep frame.
Great idea, also slope the plywood so rain runs away from the rear seats. Nail a weatherseal along the top edge with rear seats.

Last edited by westchester; 02-18-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diamond plate steel powder coated black... Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3587918047.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	638111

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3941524724.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	638112
Old 02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Diamond plate steel powder coated black... Attachment 638111

Attachment 638112

Very nice! Did you make that? Is it watertight/proof?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

I built mine for exactly that reason. Drove from Toronto out to Victoria and back and had no intention of putting the soft top up. Needed something to keep our stuff out of view. Made mine from plywood, used the hardtop bolt holes to fasten it down and weatherstripping along outside edges. Painted it at first, but just got some cheap weatherproof material off a buddy and covered it with that. Worked perfect for what I needed. Split it into 2 pieces by the rear bars incase I had taller items and easier to install. Also put a small shelf under for windows so didn't get crushed and four eyebolts on surface to strap items to the top. Could have made my cuts nicer near the rear bars but wasn't to concerned about it
Old 02-20-2016, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I built mine 5+ years ago (wow seems like a long time lol). All I wanted it for was to allow me to use the soft top or bikini top and to keep the stuff in the truck "out of sight, out of mind".

Here's a picture of it on my old JK (07). I had to modify it to fit my 2012 due to the seatbelt cover things in the rear being higher. I also rounded the corners so that it would fit my soft top with no issues. The front on mine (against the seats) is open, as I need that to access my fridge (the initial reason why I raised it above the tub). It's also less for security then just to keep things out of sight. So far I've been extremely lucky (even when vacationing in major centers) that no one has messed with the jeep - even when running doorless or just soft doors.

Haven't used it as much lately, just as I've been sticking with the hard top - but I'll never get rid of this, as it's too handy for when I want to go topless or run the ST for any length of time.

The main piece of the top is all one piece of plywood, with two smaller pieces that fit in behind the rollbars (where I slide the top part in around them).

Last edited by Septu; 02-20-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on DIY cargo lid for JKU