Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on Currie RJ 60?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Currie RJ 60?

Ok, so I am considering putting a Currie rock jock 60 in the rear of the jeep. What's your guys/gals opinions? Especially from those that actually run one. Oh, and yes, I have and am also scrolling through the advance search.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

I think you could bend a flange on the semi float. I hear tell some guy from OR Fab bent his over at Parker AZ. I have talked to guys that have bent a flange on a Semi float 60 and have advised me to go full float. I keep bendin my dana 44 chromo flanges. Depends on what ya do but with big tires and heavy jeep and you put it in a bind, somethings gotta give. Something to think about.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jknockers
I keep bendin my dana 44 chromo flanges.

I bet that is bc you are running 40's on a D44
Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WheelinWv
I bet that is bc you are running 40's on a D44
Your correct, but if ya horse it enough I bet the flange of a semi 60 can get bent also. The guys I talked to run 40's as well on tubed out jeeps (tj's, cj's), he runs a custom fab shop over here in Mesa AZ. He advises people to go full float because of the flange problem. Just throwin it out there to be considered by those who may be thinkin about goin that route.

Left flange bend
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-19-11-09.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	243062

Last edited by Jknockers; 11-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

I have a Currie Iron Jock d60 with 40 spline shafts. Of all the Currie's running out there over the past couple of years in JK set ups, only one bent a shaft and that was (I think they told me) Shannon Campbell toasting the crap out of it with a 600 horse motor and I think that was a 42" mtr.. According to Currie no breaks "yet". Now that was this past March, maybe some breaks have occurred since. I asked them about the flange strength as well as Dynatrac with their's (Dynatrac does now have a full float). Currie sold me with their explanation of bearing placement and where the wheel weight actually put stress on it and not the need for a "full float" design. Bla bla bla, sales talk yes. In the end I did go Currie and I have definitely put it to use. The angled pig with built in skid has glided over the rocks as designed and the 40 spline shafts are massive and I just can't seem to think I could break one with my turd 3.8 even with the Rubicrawler's relentless turning of my rear on rocks. Mine is set up with 5.13 R&P and using the 40spline ARB locker.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2095371334.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	243067   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1842041817.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	243068   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1203220252.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	243069  

Last edited by jctnt1; 11-28-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We've been providing full float JK ProRocks for a couple of years now. The main reason for full float is weight. Some of these JKs are big and HEAVY. Seeing a 7k JK is not unusual. Any factory rig you see at that weight will have a FF.

We're seeing bent flanges on the boards too but can only think of one of ours. Nearly all we have heard about have been stock shafts with a few aftermarket throw in. We've heard that some of these bent shafts are actually bending mid shaft (but still wobbling so it APPEARS to be a bent flange). We have yet to prove this but we're looking for bent shafts now to measure and confirm. Wheel hub run out does not mean the FLANGE is bent.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
We've been providing full float JK ProRocks for a couple of years now. The main reason for full float is weight. Some of these JKs are big and HEAVY. Seeing a 7k JK is not unusual. Any factory rig you see at that weight will have a FF.

We're seeing bent flanges on the boards too but can only think of one of ours. Nearly all we have heard about have been stock shafts with a few aftermarket throw in.
The reason I have tried to lighten mine as much as possible (no bumpers, cut frame, rear seat out, 35" spare, fenders off, tops comin off). I know when wheelin, weight matters and breaks stuff. I bent stockers, so has a few guys I wheel with on this forum. I also bent a new Chromo along with bent spacers and axle studs (all 5 were at a twist angle on both). My buddy said to me "thats why you should have 8 9/16's studs holdin that wheel on there".

Last edited by Jknockers; 11-28-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you still have the bent chromo?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Do you still have the bent chromo?
The place I bought it from wanted it back because of the warranty (Mesa AZ 4wheeler parts) Talk to Bob the manager and George or Al who seen the bent shaft ,/studs and bent spacer studs. George said to me "How the he11 did ya do that, I've never seen that before." It was a Ten Factory shaft. My name is Tim with the Blue Rubicon Unlimited on 40's, they will know who your talkin about.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Currie RJ 60?