Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions on a 35" spare on stock mount/tailgate with spacers

Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on a 35" spare on stock mount/tailgate with spacers

So I have 315/70/17s on the stock Moabs I thought I needed a spacer, like the spidertrax I have to run with this tire wheel combo, to mount this on the stock tire carrier. Turns out that I need two and the tire just barely clears the bumper with two. With both of those spacers I have a good 2.5 - 3" between the tire and the rubber tire "rests" on the tailgate.

Does the braintrust here think I'll be ok driving for a week and a half like this. I will be driving about 1200 miles on vacation during the week and a half however. The only off-road with a chance to bounce it around will be when I drive on the beach and through the dunes. I could always try to rig something to brace the tire, but haven't really kicked that idea around too much.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you will be fine on the road. I had my 35 on the stock mount for months without issue. My tire is about 3/4" away from the rubber stops.

I finally bent my tailgate after hauling ass down a 2 track and hitting a washout which bottomed out my rear suspension petty hard.

you should be good in the dunes too unless you hit a transition at the bottom of a dune super hard. You can always drop the spare while you hit the dunes too.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running a 315/70/17 spare on my stock carrier for a few weeks w/o any sign of stress. I picked up the longer daystar bumpstops and the tomken spare tire relocator but the spare is too far away now by about an inch. I also ordered a reinforcement piece from a member on this forum to distribute the weight on the tailgate.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

If you must go this route, ditch the spacers and go with a bracket that moves the tire up and out, and as mentioned the extended bump stops
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
If you must go this route, ditch the spacers and go with a bracket that moves the tire up and out, and as mentioned the extended bump stops
I appreciate that idea, and it makes sense, but I am leaving in two days. There isn't enough time to pull that together by then, not to mention that I will be putting a bumper with a tire carrier on it not too long after I return.

It sounds like others have done similar for longer, so I think I'm going to roll the dice and go for it. I still welcome any input though.

Thanks all!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why take a chance. Buy tire plug kit and a cheap compressor and leave the spare at home.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

I've had my GY Duratracs 315/70R17 spare on for about 4000 miles so far with no problems. I've wheeled 2 times on some pretty easy trails as well. It's not long term as I'm waiting for my bumper/tire carrier to arrive in the next couple weeks, but you should be fine.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm probably just gonna lay my spare 35 in the back until I have the money to buy a carrier, seems like a good idea if your afraid of damaging your tailgate.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snowdog
Turns out that I need two and the tire just barely clears the bumper with two. With both of those spacers I have a good 2.5 - 3" between the tire and the rubber tire "rests" on the tailgate.
Try and see if you can use just 1 spacer. This way you can rest the bottom part of the tire against the bumper. This is what I'm doing on mine, but I also have the longer tailgate bump stops. I think it would be better than just let it hang there entirely on the tailgate mounts.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

35" MTR on stock tailgate carrier for about 7k miles now. No spacer needed.
I think you will be ok for a lil bit but you might be asking for trouble using two spacers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1579840656.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	352349

It's close but doesn't actually touch the bumper, there's about an 1/18" gap
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3136515701.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	352350

Quick Reply: Opinions on a 35" spare on stock mount/tailgate with spacers