Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions On 1" Body Lift

Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Its VERY obvious when you look at it...the shifter comes up through the floor pan....the hole is 1" higher than it was, so the lever sometimes can hit it at the extremes of travel when shifting....you will SEE where it hits when you try to shift it.

Pull the boot, and just look, its right there....shift it into the gears you had trouble with....you'll SEE it touch the edge of the hole, and, you'll SEE how much more it needs to go (A smidgen).

Remove the smidgen of hole edge in the way, a dremel, whatever, works...its thin metal...some people have even just tapped it back with a hammer/chisel if there's swing room, etc.

Leave the boot up, drive it, shifting as needed to test it, looking at your clearances...make sure it doesn't pop back out, buzz, rattle, etc. Fine tune if needed, and then put the boot back on, you're done.

Typically, its a 15 - 30 minute project. On my TJ, it was not needed at all.

On my Xterra, it took 5 minutes for a 2" BL clearance.

Once you get the boot up and look, you'll be confident...its that straight forward.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool

Pretty informative, I have a 2 inch Rubicon BB and want to go to 35's. I think with this extra inch and some spacers I shouldn't have any issues. Appreciate the info.
Thanks,
Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the front looks better with a 1" BL especially with the stock bumpers. It seems like the grill sits too low behing the bumper the way the come from the factory.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
It's the floor board. I don't have any pics. But the problem is, I guess, when you put the shifter into 2nd, 4th, 6th and R, the shifter can't travel far enough back to lock into gear, so it pops out.
Originally Posted by TEEJ
Its VERY obvious when you look at it...the shifter comes up through the floor pan....the hole is 1" higher than it was, so the lever sometimes can hit it at the extremes of travel when shifting....you will SEE where it hits when you try to shift it.

Pull the boot, and just look, its right there....shift it into the gears you had trouble with....you'll SEE it touch the edge of the hole, and, you'll SEE how much more it needs to go (A smidgen).

Remove the smidgen of hole edge in the way, a dremel, whatever, works...its thin metal...some people have even just tapped it back with a hammer/chisel if there's swing room, etc.

Leave the boot up, drive it, shifting as needed to test it, looking at your clearances...make sure it doesn't pop back out, buzz, rattle, etc. Fine tune if needed, and then put the boot back on, you're done.

Once you get the boot up and look, you'll be confident...its that straight forward.

Thanks....It may be a very minor modification, but I think that would be a great opportunity for all the aftermarket companies to address. Such as making a
proper stick shift, adapter, extension, etc to work with the body lifts, I know they had those available for other vehicles ....

Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ

Just make sure you take a little more than you think you need too off, to allow for transmission movement... You don't want to hit a bump in the road and have it pop out of gear!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

As a total noobie who jsut got his 08 JK Unlimited Rubi and is eagerly awaiting to learn and get out wheelin' - can someone post a pic or three of close up shots showing the 'bad look' you can get from body lifts?

Because to my untrained eye, I see nothing wrong in those pics... aside from the damn Jeeps being too clean!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aphazia
As a total noobie who jsut got his 08 JK Unlimited Rubi and is eagerly awaiting to learn and get out wheelin' - can someone post a pic or three of close up shots showing the 'bad look' you can get from body lifts?

Because to my untrained eye, I see nothing wrong in those pics... aside from the damn Jeeps being too clean!

With the body lift, you're putting spacers between the frame and body. So, anything body mounted goes up, anything frame mounted (Most steps, rock sliders, bumpers, etc...) stay where they are. So, you get a goofy look, and end up seeing a lot more frame, and under-neath components. It's very obvious on pick up trucks, when the bed of the truck floats above the frame.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

That Jeep is a glaring example of poor choices.
Too-big wheels with rubber band tires and too much body lift. Blech.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone have info about the bds BL pics
Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my M.O.R.E. body lift! Only thing I dislike is the pinch seam in the back. Im hoping the new rear bumper will cover it like the front one covered the disc's.

Quick Reply: Opinions On 1" Body Lift