Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions On 1" Body Lift

Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, The only thing I can say that looks bad is the rear pinch seam behind the bumper, but I'm gonna make a cover out of angle aluminum for that. Doesn't look bad from front or sides though.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think you could take a pic of the seam? I really am considering the Body Lift but I dont want anything that might not look good.

Thanks

Last edited by jeepin08; 12-16-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

3" suspension, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift. I like mine, looks fine to me.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Pro's

Gives you lift without raising your center of gravity.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I installed the 1" Daystar and it is more expensive than MORE and takes a little longer to install(2.5-3 hours with hand tools and floor jack). With the Daystar you have to remove all three bolts at each mount(12 with Unlimited I believe for a total of 36) With the MORE kit you only have to remove the center bolt for the body mounts and not the 2 bolts that attach the body isolaters. May sound confusing, but install was straight forward for Daystar and would be even easier with MORE. I have auto tranny and no problems with shifting afterwards.

I went with Daystar over more because I thought the black poly spacers would be less obvious visually and I believe they are. Although I have a silver Jeep so the MORE pucks would have looked OK too. I have used other BLs with previous Jeeps and was curious about Daystar polys also.

Pros for me were no rubbing with 35s off road using Tera 2.5" BB and the BL. I had some rubbing on my Rubi rock rails with only BB.
It should not effect your ride either. My wife said it felt a little rougher, but I didn't feel much difference. I have heard that the poly isolaters may transmit more vibration through to the body of the Jeep and thus the seat of your pants.

As for looks, the only problem I see with the 1" is the rear pinch seem, but a new rear bumper with tire carrier will mask a lot of that and I plan on painting my seam black. This is a con for some, but no big deal to me.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant211
thanks for the quick reply, what about the con's?

Will they break over time, squeek, cause other issues?
Con: You may need to do some grinding for the manual transmission shifter.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Generally, its all Pro's...the 1" BL's hardly show at all unless you know where to look, and pretty much at the rear as described. Some people let it ride until they get a new rear bumper which masks the little exposed gap there, some people rattle can the gap to blend...its an inch, pretty easy to mask, or to even ignore.

You get another 2" tire diameter option from a 1" BL, a real plus considering it keeps your COG low.

The uptravel articulation is preserved...you create tire stuffage room, where as the SL's coils compress, allowing the tire to still hit on compression....so it take a lot more SL to do what an inch of BL does.

On the same articulation note, when drooping one tire all the way, and stuffig the other all the way, the stuffed tire tends to swing into the frame rail...with the BL, the frame rail is a bit higher, and, you get a few more inches up on that RTI ramp, etc.

The hole the shifter passes through the floor pan ends up an inch higher...sometimes you need to dremel a notch or a bit of clearance under the boot area for the shifter to move its full range, as, sometimes, for some people, the raised hole is now a tiny bit in the way. Its a few minutes total job if you need to do it, not a big deal by any means.

The BL also gives a scootch more room for under hood and frame related work (An extra inch)...which is sometimes the room for your knuckles to fit, etc.

All in all, considering the price, the list of pros and the lack of significant cons, a BL should be a no brainer for anyone upping their tire size.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TEEJ
...The hole the shifter passes through the floor pan ends up an inch higher...sometimes you need to dremel a notch or a bit of clearance under the boot area for the shifter to move its full range.....
Is the notch made on the top part or the bottom area? And is it made to the boot itself or the floor board any pics? Thanks...
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
3" suspension, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift. I like mine, looks fine to me.

Hey RedRock,

What rock rails are you sporting in the photos?

Nice looking rig btw!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the floor board. I don't have any pics. But the problem is, I guess, when you put the shifter into 2nd, 4th, 6th and R, the shifter can't travel far enough back to lock into gear, so it pops out.

Quick Reply: Opinions On 1" Body Lift