Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinion re Backspacing - 35" MT-Rs & Steel Wheels

Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion re Backspacing - 35" MT-Rs & Steel Wheels

Hi Everyone,

I know there's probably not a really right answer to the question I'm about to ask; but, I want to make sure I don't make the really wrong choice.

I am currently running the stock tires and wheels on my '08 2-door Rubicon. I installed a Northridge OME LT lift kit, and I also installed 1-1/2" Spider Trax wheel spacers to prevent rubbing.

I am (sooner or later) going to be going to 35" Goodyear MR-Rs with steel wheels. (The steel wheels will most likely be simulated beadlocks.)

I am leaning toward ordering these through DiscountTireOnline. In this case, as I understand it, I can have the Cragar wheels custom made (bolt diamter and backspace in particular) through Discount Tire.

Being that I can pretty much order whatever configuration I need, I don't need to compromise on what's available from someone's stock.

I would really like to optimize the wheel with the tire, and with the lift. I thought the best way to find out is to ask the opinion of anyone with a similar set-up for lift, and with similar tires.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Cragar will 'Custom Make' wheels for you? How much extra does that cost?

The FAQ has all the backspace info. If you're happy with the look you have currently with the 1.5" spacers, then stay with that BS. (6.25 stock - 1.5 spacer = ? ...)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2" coil lift with .75 front spacers...

Cragar rim with 5" backspacing and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Tires are 315/75R16.

Stock rims with 6.25" of backspacing and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Tires are 315/70R17.

Last edited by armycop; 08-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Doesn't cost anything extra through discount, you just have to wait for them to be made. I waited 2-weeks for mine but that was no big deal for me, I'd rather have the right size.
Back to the OP, I along with others on here are very happy with a 17x9 cragars for 35'' tires. It seems to be the best ratio of proper tire tread ware vs weight. I went with 4.5 inches of backspacing due to Ca regulations about fender flares. Mine stick out a little bit for a nice stance but should fly under the radar (havn't had a problem yet). I wouldn't go any less than 4'' of bs or it's gonna be too wide for tight trails and put more stress on your balljoints. Sooo 4.5 - 4.25 inches of backspacing are ideal...imo.

I know it's blurry but it might help...best shot I have of the width

Last edited by jkJason; 08-27-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks for Your Replies

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your replies.

I know I need to do the math to confirm; but, I really appreciate all of your input.

I am leaning toward a 16" diameter wheel, 8" wide. I am trying to keep the weight down, and maximize the sidewall area of the tires.

Although I believe that most of the posts on this board suggest that there shouldn't be a problem (with the calipers) running 16" wheels on the Rubicon, I am hoping someone might be able to confirm their experiences. I'm also wondering about the proper backspacing if I go this route. (I know Planman suggested no greater than 4" for 15" or 16" wheels.)

I also figured the tire and wheel combination would be pretty heavy, and tough to balance... so I'm wondering if I would be making a mistake not buying them locally as opposed to online. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your input.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

There are 'discount tire' stores in Indianapolis aren't there? I've had great service through them so I'd check em out. Run a store locator on their web site. I really feel 3-4 inches of bs is too shallow...it's gonna look like a low rider lol. I could see running 3.75 bs on 15'' rims to clear the calipers...but I'd go with the 16's and 4.5 bs. A 35 inch tire on 15's is a ridiculous amount of sidewall an street manners would drop.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks for Your Reply

Originally Posted by jkJason
There are 'discount tire' stores in Indianapolis aren't there? I've had great service through them so I'd check em out. Run a store locator on their web site. I really feel 3-4 inches of bs is too shallow...it's gonna look like a low rider lol. I could see running 3.75 bs on 15'' rims to clear the calipers...but I'd go with the 16's and 4.5 bs. A 35 inch tire on 15's is a ridiculous amount of sidewall an street manners would drop.
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your input.

There's a Discount Tire store about 4 miles from me. I've always used a Goodyear store here (for over 25 years), so I have hesitated switching stores. Goodyear's service has become kind of inconsistent, so I have been thinking of taking a trip to one of the Discount Tire stores.

I wasn't planning on going any smaller than 16" wheels. I have been on the fence about 16" or 17"; but, if I want to run the steel wheels with simulated beadlocks, I'm limited to 16". The problem with any of the wheels (I guess they're all made by the same manufacturer) is that the only wheel of that type that is close to what I am looking at is a 16" wheel, 8" width, 5X5 bolt pattern... but 5" backspacing. I'm just not sure that 5" will work. That is the main reason I am looking into having DiscountTireDirect.com have the 16" wheels made to the 4-1/2" backspacing.

If I don't go with the simulated beadlock type wheel, I will probably go with a standard steel wheel. Then I'm back on the fence regarding 16" or 17" and 4-1/2 or 4" backspacing (or even other options).

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Opinion re Backspacing - 35" MT-Rs & Steel Wheels