Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinion Rancho oil pan skid plate

Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brown truck just delivered mine.

Quick point of clarification. I need to coat all surfaces of the oil pan skid, sides and bottom, before I press it on with a jack? I would assume so. I plan on getting another tube of Rtv to make sure I have enough.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to go to crazy, what they provide is plenty, I struggled to use it all. It also fits very snugly and will stay in place on its own (I test fit it first) After sitting overnight with Rtv I didn't bother using the bracket too. It's not going anywhere.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Would it be easy to paint another color or would u have to sand first. Or can u get this in bare metal not red doing blue on my jeep.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
You don't have to go to crazy, what they provide is plenty, I struggled to use it all. It also fits very snugly and will stay in place on its own (I test fit it first) After sitting overnight with Rtv I didn't bother using the bracket too. It's not going anywhere.
This right here.

Originally Posted by jeepsta
Would it be easy to paint another color or would u have to sand first. Or can u get this in bare metal not red doing blue on my jeep.
Real easy to paint it another color. I know guys who paint the outside and go.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by keycat02
Rancho, any plans for a similar skid plate for the auto trans pan? It seems just as vulnerable even with the stock skid "bar."
UPDATE!!! We are looking at some prototypes right now! It takes us a while sometimes to get stuff to market, we like to make sure it is trail tested. This is in the early stages BTW....
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Got it installed and let Rtv dry for 24 hrs, but I may have screwed myself bolting the security bracket to the oil pan. I may have started to strip the bolt by using a 1/4 inch ratchet It snugs, but doesn't come to a firm stop. It isn't leaking after driving around today.

I ordered a new bolt from the dealer and will try that with some blue loctite tomorrow and not use the bracket so I can get more of the bolt to bite. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be paying someone to fix it properly.

Sometimes I should just leave well enough alone.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Thread killer strikes again!!!!

I solved my problem the next day, after my panic subsided.

Quick Reply: Opinion Rancho oil pan skid plate